Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

NITRATE @ 80

Started by scorpion-stinger, February 09, 2007, 11:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpion-stinger

did a test of NITRATE and it'a @ 80. how dangerous is it

mseguin

80 is pretty high, definitely do some water changes, and reduce feeding.

PaleoFishGirl

I agree... some *big* water changes. 

babblefish1960

Just to add to the previous posts, 80 is kill zone for fish, change some water, many times until it comes down to safer levels.

KLKelly

Nitrates that high during a cycle? Hmmm.

Guess the cycles over.

A 50% water change would bring nitrates to 40 and another 50% next day around 20.  You will probably have to do 3 or more 50% water changes.  It may be higher than 80 depending on the test.  The Aquarium pharmaceuticals tests that I use once nitrates hit 40 I can't tell what the level is - it all looks the same.

scorpion-stinger

this is a already cycled tank, my 15 gallon. I bought it last week.

scorpion-stinger

Just did a 75% WC and is at 40  :'( but will do more tonite and I lost my tigar barb  :'( thats why I did all my tests again got the tank Mon or Tues

markw

You may have an underlying problem that is causing the Nitrate buildup. Kind of sounds like a build up somewhere in the tank of decaying matter. Either food, feces or dead fish or plant matter. Check under rocks and if you have thick substrate in places make sure that an anaerobic gas buildup hasn't occured. Good idea to stir the substrate up everytime you do a water change. Good Luck
markw

scorpion-stinger

Thanks!  I did another WC 75% and vacumed the gravel, now at 20 will do another one tomorrow

fishycanuck

If this was a used tank with wet seed material, then you might be in the cycle. If it was a brand new tank, you are nowhere near finished the cycle. Keep doing those water changes and test daily. Do not add any more fish until this is sorted out.

scorpion-stinger

The girl who sold me it said that she had it for a while. I think when she was cleaning the filter she was washing it under the tap  :D. I know she asked me if I wanted her to clean the tank and I said no, i'll do it myself

fishycanuck

Sounds like the good bacteria was killed off with the filter washing. If you have an old sponge from your 65G (or was it only set up in December?) or a handful or two of the gravel from a "mature" tank, that will help your 15G come to normal parameters. You still have to do pwcs to remove the nitrAte, but the old gravel or filter media will help prevent a spike in ammonia and nitrIte.
What are your numbers for those parameters?

scorpion-stinger

well the amonia was @ 0, the nitrites @ 0 and only the nitrates were hi, will do another 75% WC in the morning after i am on earth  ;D

Cheers and thanks to all
PEACE TO ALL
Marc

scorpion-stinger

DAM!!!  found my Botia loach on the floor under my son's computer chair  :'(. I guess he commited suicide. he was stiff and dried out.