Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is the lowest temperature for common pleco? sad up-date

Started by oenology, February 03, 2007, 11:48:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oenology

What is the lowest temperature you have successfully kept a common pleco at? I have a 13" fellow that has to move out of the 130g. I want to put him in with my goldfish that are being kept in the crawl space in a 5000g pool. The temperature of the water in the pool is about 16C. Planet Catfish says their natural temperure range is 21 to 26C. Barring putting him in the pool does anyone have the room for such a giant? I'm really quite fond of him; he has been with me for close to 8 years and started off as such a wee little guy. :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

busdriver

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

beowulf

I've been told by one of the guys at BA Mtl that he has some clients here that have kept them alive in outdoor ponds during the winter.  As long as the water is not allowed to completely freeze and it is deep enough they have survived.

Sue

I had some bushy nose pleco's I left outside in a 80 gallon tank, I was intending to bring them in for the winter, but I thought they were cold hardy enough that there was no rush.  I was too late bringing them in and they were all dead. Whiteclouds and Rosy barbs in the same tank were fine. I am not sure of the temp at the time, but it was well above freezing, maybe around 10 C.

Laura

I would worry about the temp, but have no personal experience to base it on.

Koko's goldfish world advises that some plecos will suck on goldie fish slime, so I don't know if that's a threat.

Saltydog is looking for a big pleco on the classifieds.....
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

fishycanuck

oenology

SAD UPDATE - my magnificent fellow didn't adapt to his cooler digs :'(

beowulf

Sad to hear.  I have one that is starting to get large so in the future if you want him once he is to big for my tank you can have him.

scorpion-stinger

babblefish1960

So sorry to hear that oenology, he really was a magnificent specimen.

busdriver

Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Nerine

so sorry to hear about your loss :( he was a beautiful pleco!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

bitterman

White Lightning

I have to agree... that it was fine looking pleco. I have mine in with my goldfish right now. The temp has been at 70 for the last month. I am not sure what that converts to on the metric system .