Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I wonder????

Started by rechaud, February 14, 2007, 06:24:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rechaud

I just bought a 110 gal everything doing good by this morning my water was little bit at 74 and it suppose to be at 78. I would like to know what is the perfect voltage heater for a 110 gal. Now i run with a 200 watts is it enough???

Thank you
Eric.

rockgarden

A 200 watt should be sufficient. If more wattage is needed for some reason, then adding another heater is better than adding a higher wattage heater.  With two heaters, if one quits you would still have heat going into the tank.

Ron

rechaud

thanks a lot realy apreciate!!!! ;D
Eric...

cory

i was told 2 300w heaters are good for my 125g. hmmm..

also this is in the class. add, this should be in the General Discussion.

bitterman

I have three 250 watt heaters in my 195 (about 172 gallons of water+ 30 gallon sump) The room it is in is cool, but they do the job.

Bruce

dpatte

I tend to prefer putting two heaters on larger tanks - in case one fails.

I also came up with this idea for my 150.

It has a 200W set at 25C
and it has a 300W set at 24C.

Usually only the 200W comes on, but if the house gets exceptioanlly cold, like if im away for a few days, the 300W also kicks in to assist the 200W.

The two together insure that it will always stay above 24C, but the 200W is usually doing all the work. This insures I normally dont have too much load on my circuits.

With 18 tanks - it became necessary to insure that my amperage couldnt randomly trip my breakers.

cory

David...how much is ur water and electricity bill! :|

kennyman

I think allot depends on your fishroom or house though too. My place is old, cold and drafty. I have a 200w in my 37, a 200 in my 20gal and two 300w in my 55(thats overkill for sure). I also dint pay any attention to the numbers on the dial. As far as I am concerned they are there for decoration.

I know at least 2 @ 200-300watts would be needed for a tank over 100 gal in my house  ::) 

Adama

From what I was told you need around 5 watts / gallon. Seeing as this isn't a steadfast law I agree with kennyman that 2 heaters @ 200-300 W should suffice. You definitely want two with a tank that big!

dpatte

Go to this page at the bottom to determine how many watts you need for your tanks

http://www.aquariumsystems.com/heater.htm