New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Salt in a planted tank?

Started by tah, February 17, 2007, 09:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tah

Hi
In the past I have always added salt in my freshwater planted tanks.  As I have just got back into aquariums,  I was wondering what others have to say about adding salt in a planted tank?
Would 1 Tsp. per gallon be harmful to the plants?
Thanks,
Tammy :)

Nerine

I know that if you use too much salt the plants will die...
it's been awhile since I've used salt in the tank.
Some plants can stand a high salt content though.

This is what I got off my "cheat sheet" for disease:
In a non-planted aquarium with tolerant fish, the addition of Aquarium salt at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 4 liters/1 gallon of water disrupts the fluid regulation of Ich.

what kind of fish do you have?

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Adam

A little bit of a salt concentration can collapse plant cells...but some plants are more resistant than others.  I don't have an exact value, but it does affect them.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

tah

Hi
Thanks for your responses! :)
As I have very hard water at home I have been using bottled water for the water changes. There is no sodium in the bottled water so  I was thinking of adding some to the aquarium water.  In the past I have always put salt in with my fish as I believe it helps the fish build a resistance to certain parasites and generally helps them to be a little more resistant to stress.
I presently have a bunch of neon's, 3 Cory's(which I know are not as tolerable to the salt), 2 angels and a pair of kribensis.  I have a variety of plants in the tank.
I was just wanting to know from those who keep a planted tank what your experiences are with adding salt and at what quantity did you use!
I really appreciate any feed back, thanks!

zima

I would be very interested in this as well! I've never done it myself, but would actually like to start doing that. I've heard from people that salt helps in buidling resistance with the fish, but really have no experience as to how salt affects the plants. So while I have nothing to add ??? , I'd very much like to know others' opinions on the matter.

charlie

I have never added salt to my planted tanks, always read that they can damage ( melt)plants, depending on the concentration & the type of plants, so i take the safe route.
Regards

PuddleDuck

I recently added about 4-5 tbsp to my 80g to help out with some new fish and my plants were alright, but I have "melted" my plants before.

I'm using r/o water, and I dont add salt...not sure about what's best.