New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID this fish

Started by charlie, February 18, 2007, 07:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

I`m not sure of the name of this fish, this is a picture of it`s underside while stuck to the glass, can anyone provide the name of this fish.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Woody

Hi Charlie

It resembles a borneo sucker, can't tell which one without looking at the colour pattern, but at least it is a start.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/HillstreamLoaches/ChineseHillstreamLoach.php

There is a new species out on the market and I have just acquired a few, hopefully they will breed in the home aquarium. Picture attached.

Enjoy, a nice fish.

Woody

[attachment deleted by admin]

beowulf

I thought we agreed all unknown fish are now know as Frank?

On a more serious note it seems to be some sort of hillstream loach.

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/beaufortia-kweichowensis

charlie

Thanks guy`s , definitely looks like the Borneo sucker , but his body is more of a solid colour, will try to get a better picture of his full body.I `ll name him mystrey Frank  ;), i aquired this fish when i bought a 50 gln tank & the owners was`nt sure what it was
Regards

Laura

Do check out loaches.com for info on the hillstream loaches - they like current and cooler temps and graze on micro organisms in algae.  Mine never really took to most other foods, but I understand most do.

Woody - there has been a couple of people on loaches.com who have bred sewellia - Emma has been sucessful and there's someone from the States who's just posted that theirs are breeding like rabbits.  Good luck with them, they're stunning.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

RoxyDog

*we* didn't agree on anything Wulfboy.   :P  it's George.
definitely a borneo sucker/hillstream loach (I've seen them called butterfly plecos too).  I had 2 of them with my goldies awhile back, as I read like Laura said, that they like cooler temps.  they never ate any 'normal' foods.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.