Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tropheus Duboisi in my 80 gallon tank

Started by dandaman, May 18, 2006, 09:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dandaman

Hey guys, I was just wondering, I have 10 duboisis in my 80 gallon tank, but would be interested in getting more(i wouldnt add any after that).

What do you guys think a good number to get would be.
I have heard from many people that it is a gpood idea to get 24 and just take out the males, but is this too much?
What do you guys think?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Dan
80- 5 Tropheus Brichardi Malagarasi
55- Planted Communnity
35- Discus/Angel Community
10- Breeding tank

darkdep

I was investigating tropheus recently, still considering a colony, and I was going to put 24 in a 75 if I do it.

Sue

I'd suggest adding some T. moori into the mix for some added color. But only if they are from a reliable breeder and quarantined first! You can also put some other Tang's in with them if you are carefull.

dandaman

Ok, this sounds good, but will the tropheus still breed later on if I add?

Thanks for the info.

Dan

80- 5 Tropheus Brichardi Malagarasi
55- Planted Communnity
35- Discus/Angel Community
10- Breeding tank

sylvain

i actually have 23 tropheus in a 90g, 21 t.moorii red moliro and 2 duboisi, plus about 20 cyprichromis leptosoma, no problem at all, because all the tropheus were introduced together, and they grew up as a colony, I would be careful adding new tropheus to an existing colony especially if they were 10 for a very long time, and you also have to make sure that you have PLENTY of hidding places for the new ones to hide in case of territorial fights with the older inhabitants. I have that colony for almost 10 months now and I am experiencing my first incubation (well not me, but the female in the tank), but I have to tell you it wasn't easy, I lost over a few colonies before I could successfully keep this one, for various reasons, bloat, fights, etc... so my advice is to go very carefully about adding more, especially duboisi, they are a breed apart!
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

Al

I agree with Sylvain that you can/should up the numbers. 10 trophs is not enough in an 80G IMO. I keep strictly tropheus and would tell you that 10 is not enough to spread aggression around - 24 would be a good number. I have 2 colonies of 24 in 75G tanks and had 36 in a 110G which is now thinned down to 24, with 19 petrochromis. Adding others to the colony, however, is not an easy task as Sylvain points out and if/when you decide to do this you might think about stripping all the decor in the tank before adding anything new - or taking the existing out into another holding tank and then adding all the fish back to a new setup all at the same time. I would keep away from caves, etc and keep decor simple so as to lessen things/spots/territories/etc to fight over. Could go on and on. Good luck. While there are some general rules, what works for one doesn't always work for others. But 10 trophs in my opinion is definitely not enough- and that number will be tough to maintain as aggression increases and takes its toll.

Al

Additional note of potential interest? - While 24 would be a good number for an 80G tropheus colony, keep in mind that Duboisi's behaviour toward conspecifics is far less aggressive than most other tropheus species. This is a quote from Aqualog Tropheus HardCover Book -Peter Schupke. Maybe someone with some specific Duboisi experience can kick in. For moori, brichardi, etc the higher the number the better.

debbgord

How offen does Tropheus Duboisi spawn?  I have twelve in a 55gal tank and by the time I noticed the fry their was only one left. The last fry was ate as soon as I noticed.

Sue

Quote from: debbgord on February 12, 2007, 12:14:21 AM
How offen does Tropheus Duboisi spawn?  I have twelve in a 55gal tank and by the time I noticed the fry their was only one left. The last fry was ate as soon as I noticed.

With mine I find frequency varies greatly depending on water conditions, and the fish's health and food intake, and how much stress they are under from their tankmates. They can spawn about 4 weeks after the previous 3-4 weeks of holding fry, but sometimes they go for long breaks in between.  They don't have large broods.

aroc

what is the minimum tank size for a colony of tropheus? and how many are recommended in the colony of that size?

hummer

I would say at least a 75 gallon and anywhere from 10 to 20 duboisi.  However I did not have any agressions issues when i had 2, then 5, then 10, then 18.  So even though they say that duboisi are aggressive it really depends on your fish.  I have several males and have never had an injured duboisi.  Are you looking for a colony of them?

aroc

I am interested in tropheus colony, not nessessarily duboisi, but I only have a 50 gallon tank to work with at this time, with no plans to really expand higher then that

markw

I agree with Al regarding numbers and variants. Minimum numbers for a successful colony are at least 15(bare miimum) but usually 20-25. All my colonies are over that. Any less and agression will take over resulting in inevitable deaths and definatley non-breeding. Duboisi are predominantly non-agressive(compared to other species of Tropheus) They will tolerate other species and also other Tangyanikans. However, having said that there is concern that mixing species will result in hybridized offspring. Duboisi are the one species that usually tend not to interbreed, but never a guarantee! Mixing with other Tangs. will work but keep in mind that diets are totally different. Non-Tropheus types need protein diets and Tropheus cannot tolerate anything other than veggie based food such as Spirolina or Algae. By keeping them together, even though they may survive, they won't thrive as they would apart.
I have kept colonies of Duboisi Bemba and Duboisi Maswa and they thrive in numbers. I do not mix variants and do not recommend it either.
I have added to existing colonies with mixed success. As Sylvain pointed out, its best to bring them all up together. If you do try and add, make sure they are of relative similar size and when you introduce them, tear the tank completely down. I recommend removing the existing fish, reset the rock work(provide rock work on either end of the tank) and then reintroduce them all together with the lights off. I even cover the tank with a blanket and leave them in the dark for several days. Often times an agressive male will continue to torment the new additions and he must be isolated.
Good Luck and enjoy your Tropheus!
markw