New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Newbie question - Cycling

Started by hamstercaster, February 16, 2007, 11:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

Hi, I have search the forums for Cycling and came accross a few messages but they didn't answer all of my questions or some where somewhat confusing so I'll be asking you pros a few questions if you don't mind.  Note that this is coming from a complete newbie that would rather trust people on a forum than many kids working in a pet store that can't differentiate a Cat Fish from a Siamese Cat lol.  Note that I am aware that there are very knowledgeable people working in some pet shops... and I'm only joking.. to some extent.  And I actually plan on visiting at least a couple pet shops this weekend and one on my lunch break actually downtown Ottawa.

I have just acquired a 55g tank and it looks like we will be putting cichlids in it.  More precisely Lake Malawi cichlids but it's not yet a definite choice.  It is my choice but the tank was my wife's Valentine's Day/Birthday present so she will have a say... or THE say when it comes to the type of fishes that will go in.

Now I have heard and read conflicting things on how to properly cycle a new tank.  The store I went to told me to by gold fishes at 6 for 1$.. which I presume are feeders.  I have read on the internet (some links coming from this forum) not to use these fishes as they are more often than not afflicted with diseases and are very poorly cared for... It's been suggested to use Danios or barbs... Which one is true

My second question regarding cycling is this.  Is it useful to use the "Cycle" product?  Can't remember which company makes the product but I have heard from people that it greatly helps cycling your aquarium and keeping healthy levels of Bacterias.  But I have also read on the net that it is pretty much useless as since the oxygen and food supplies in the bottle are non-renewable so the bacterias themselves or more often than not already dead when you pour them in your tank...  Useful or not?

Regarding water changes.  By the messages I have read on these forums it seems to be a general concensus to do a water change every week or so ranging between 10 to 20% of the thanks capacity.  Now my question in this regards is aimed towards the chlorine content in the water.  Being from Gatineau, I have read here that they only use chlorine and nothing else.  Should I really be using a water conditionner, let the water sit in pail(s) to let it eveporate or just pour the water in the thank right after filling my pail from the tap and not worry about using conditionner.  Again, here on these forums some people seem to push the conditionner treatment everytime while a few others do without.

I know that some of that knowledge will be acquired through time, experience and trial and error but a few answers to my questions will be greatly helpful.  I do not want to spend an arm and a leg on fishes that incure great risks of dying during the tank cycling but at the same time, I would like to put in fishes that I would be able to keep once the tank has cycled in the event they survive... and these fish would more than likely need to be able to live with cichlids... unless the wife decides otherwise  ;D

Thank you

beowulf

First thing is to decide the type of fish you want because what you decide will have a huge effect on the water parameters you will be going for.  Most african fish require a mich higher pH then say south americans or asian fish.  As for cycling read the article over in the left side about fishless cycling.  Best way to cycle is not to have to.  If you know someone who already has a fish tank, ask them for some of their filter media and cravel or decor which will already have the good bacteria you require and will speed things up considerably.

hamstercaster

Thanks. The tank actually came with his sahara sand at the bottom.. so I may indeed be in for a faster cycle then.

thanks

beowulf

Quote from: hamstercaster on February 16, 2007, 11:57:46 AM
Thanks. The tank actually came with his sahara sand at the bottom.. so I may indeed be in for a faster cycle then.

thanks

Depends, did it remain wet?  If it dried out the bacteria would have died.  Don't forget to buy a good test kit to test the water on a daily basis until the cycle is over.

hamstercaster

There was indeed water left in the thank

fishycanuck

Please read through the articles on the left about general information and tank set up... then come back with your questions. We are happy to help but there are some FAQ you could benefit from.

scorpion-stinger

Hek!!!!!!!!!!  I'm new too and have been  cycling my tank since Dec 26, and I still have abit of AMONIA and NITRATES!  I had the AMONIA spikes, then NITRITES but now it's abit of AMMONIA .025 - .50 and 5.0 NITRATES

hamstercaster

Quote from: fishycanuck on February 16, 2007, 09:23:44 PM
Please read through the articles on the left about general information and tank set up... then come back with your questions. We are happy to help but there are some FAQ you could benefit from.

Thanks, I have read through some.. some the page could not be displayed for some reason so that left me with unanswered questions.

fishycanuck

Scorpion - as mentioned, either you cycle was not complete, or you overloaded the biofilter by adding too many fish at once.

HC - now that you have read at least part of the cycling info, fire away. The use of Cycle is controversial, I hear that Biospira is far superior - if you can get it. Far easier to ask a club member to give you some gravel or an old filter sponge to kick-start the process. Fishless cycling is easier on the fish, but hard to wait for :)

hamstercaster

Thanks Fishy.  I have gone shopping this weekend with my wife to pick fishes that we will eventually put in the aquarium and then picked our fishes that would help cycle the tank.  The employee that guided us through or many questions was fairly knowledgeable to at least help us pick the first fishes to put in for the cycle.

Walking around with my wife she told the employee which fishes she liked and he was able to say, well you can use these two together in your tank, but not that one etc.  So we ended up buying 20 Zebra Danios to start cycling the tank allong with some Cycle product, 2 plants,1 Anacharis (Egria Najas) and another one which I can't remember the name for.  We've had the fishes in the tank since Saturday afternoon and so far so good.  As it was stated before, I had sand and some water left over in the tank from the previous owner so I figure it will help quite a bit in speeding the cycle and probably putting less stress on the fishes.  I will get the water tested tonight.

Now I just have to let time flow by and hope for good results and for minimal fish loss if not at all.  Zebras are very hardy fishes so I may just get by with no losses provided I keep the aquarium in check and do the necessary maintaining.

More questions to come in separate threads... as they are not related to cycling the tank

Thanks

zima

Hi Hc, I think the employee was right about suggesting the zebra danios. In my experience, they are the best fishies for cycling a new tank. Also, the folks in the forum are very much right about getting some filter media and/or gravel/sand from a cycled tank. This is an easy and sure way to boost the levels of healthy bacteria in the tank. Feel free to give me a shout for some of that stuff!

I hope you are aware of the perfect incompatibility of danois and cichlids. The poor danois will be bullied/harassed and even eaten by cichlids in a matter of seconds. **sigh**

cheers

hamstercaster

Thanks Zima.  I already had sand and water.  Yes I know about the Cichlids and Danios and it is unfortunate.  Worst comes to worst if we decide on going the cichlid route, I'll bring the Danios back to the shop or give them away to people who may want them and just put cichlids in the tank.  I'll see when I get there.... and see what my wife will be up for.  There are nice fishes in other species too so I think we will stick with Danios and other Danios friendly fishes ;-)