Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What do you feed stings (pics)

Started by 2chance, February 18, 2007, 12:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2chance

truely thanks to all your replies and all the info, Thanks to you ALL!!! ; :) :)

hamstercaster

what size tank is it in?  Is a 55g to small for a freshwater stingray?  And how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

thanks

2chance

You will have to buy a bigger tank I think, They get the size of a dinner plate, but I'm not sure if a 55 Gallon would be enough to house it? may be some one will reply to this and give you a heads up...

FishPassion

I have never had a stingray but imagine that they would need a fair sized tank with a decent length to swim in. I did a quick read on one post and found a ray that reaches 18 inches long but there are many different types and as we know info on posts is not always 100%. I have seen ID sharks kept in a 55 gallon for many years that were 10-12 inches long but they were also deformed as they had no room to grow out properly ie: heads out of proportion to there body size
Your ray may not be eating because it is possibly used to live foods and it may take some time for it to eat frozen.
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

beowulf

The small teacup ones remain around 30-35cm and they will still need a long tank and another important thing is a sand substrate as they love to hide under it.  The larger species of freshwater rays can reach 60cm+ some close to a meter.  So in other words a 55g would hold a teacup for a short while but in the end a 100+g will be needed.

FishPassion

Teacup size hmmmmmmmmm thanx for the info will look into those for the future...food for thought as if I need another tank...lol
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

2chance

Yeah I know its addictive, 1 tank is not enough then you buy another and another and then your house is a lake ;D ;D ;D :D