Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Greasy film on top of water

Started by scorpion-stinger, February 20, 2007, 12:14:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scorpion-stinger

Hi all, whats the best solution to remove top of water grease film etc..

Cheers
Marc

darkdep

The grease is a protein film.  There are a few fish that eat it, but none I can recall.  You can do the manual approach, I've heard people using paper towels as a quick fix.

A more effective way, especially if you have a canister, is a surface skimmer attachment that will draw water from the surface as well as the bottom of the tank.

beowulf

From what I remember from Art's thread it seems many livebearer will eat it like platties.  If not as mentioned a paper towel will clean it up or even just churning the water.  I use to have it in my 65g but with a bubbler now the surface is always broken and I do not seem to have the problem anymore.

kennyman

I agree that breaking the surface of the water is the best method in a typical tank. It is easily accomplished by the output of most hob filters or the action of air bubbles breaking on the surface. This method does not work will with SW or Brackish tanks as it leads to salt spray and creep, but with the average FW tank its is the best bet.

After reading Arts thread about scum eating fish I have watched my female (feeder breeder) guppy sucking in scum from the surface. Funny fish those surface feeders  :)

loves mayo

i've had this problem also,and i tried an equal balance of fish and plants which pretty much means more fish more plants.

scorpion-stinger

Hey everyone! Which is best, to put the inlet of a canister in about 1" of a corner of a tank or, have it near the middle of tank?

Thanks
Marc

mseguin

For #1, yuo can get surface skimmers for filters, depending on what model of filter.

scorpion-stinger

I have a Eheim 2213 and an Emperor 400 Power Bio Wheel Filter  ;)

mseguin

I know there's ones for Aquaclears and Fluvals, and Tom's makes one, not sure what it fits.

scorpion-stinger

Hummmmm.... ok I was checking on BA's, which one would you recommend?

scorpion-stinger

Geez  :D :D :D I just realised that I asked the same question twice. I put a post up about surface grease!  It must of been too many beers last nite  ;D ;D lol

bitterman

I always have this problem in my tanks afre feeding Freeze dried mysis. My overflow takes care of alot of it pretty quickly though.

Bruce

darkdep

Yeah, Mysis is an oily food and causes this.  I don't notice it on my Aquaclear filtered tanks cause the surface gets so broken up, but it's noticeable on the others.