Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Trapped tetra - advice?

Started by PrincessFish, February 24, 2007, 11:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessFish

Hello new friends,

This fish keeping hobby is definitely fun!
       I have a CO2 system and I've just rescued one of my tetras (for the second time) from being trapped behind the delivery mechanism.  I have no idea why he tries to get in there?!?  Does anyone have any ideas about how to prevent this from happening?  Or will he just learn eventually?  Hmm, what kind of intelligence level do tetras have? :-\
       Thanks.
Princess Fish

KLKelly

I'm not sure what the delivery system looks like.  I've had the hagen ladder in one of my tanks.  What about cutting small foam strips to fit around it (foam like the AC filter block foam). They'd be easy to clean.  It would work for the ladder.

Adam

I've had a guppy do that, and I don't know how long he was back there.  He was ok after I released him and hasn't been back since. 

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

fishycanuck

Sounds Darwinian - but covering intakes with netting could help.

garnpet

If it's the ladder you are talking about, my fish were always stuck up there.  I even lost a couple when I didn't notice them right away.  I cut a small piece of aquarium tubing, folded it in half and then jammed it in the back of the slot going up the side. 

You can sort of see it from the attached picture.  The tubing is on the lower right hand side.

[attachment deleted by admin]
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

PrincessFish

Hi everyone,

Yes, it is the Hagen ladder type.  Thanks so much for your suggestions!  Both the foam and the tubing sound like great ideas - I'll try them!

babblefish1960

Be careful to not block water flow around the ladder too much, or your gas exchange will be incomplete, and wasting CO2.

PrincessFish

I've wondered about that BabbleFish.  I can see that this hobby just drives one to bigger and bigger tanks!  It is difficult to have a nice planted tank and yet to leave enough space at the same time! :)  Good excuse to continue thinking about another larger tank!   :)

gonzobluefuzz

I just siliconed some clear lexan to the bottom and sides extending them to the glass. This has kept all the curious and/or less than gifted ones out since.

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 24, 2007, 11:09:41 PM
Be careful to not block water flow around the ladder too much, or your gas exchange will be incomplete, and wasting CO2.

Now that I read this, I'm soon gonna drill a pile of 1/16-1/8"ish holes in the side extensions to improve the flow on the glass side. That should still keep 'em out.
I hadn't thought of that before. Thanks babblefish1960 for giving me a "DOH!!!!!!!" moment.

Cheerz,

G