Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

white slime on rock

Started by missmandy, March 13, 2007, 05:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missmandy

hi my 90 gallon is a week and a half into cycling and i notice on one of my big rocks there is this whiteish slime growing on it and it looks hairy. anyone know what it is?

PoisonJello

not sure exactly what it is but if you have driftwood in your tank that is probably where it came from or at least that is what my 10g tank did but most of it just stayed on the wood some on the rock ,so i took them out and cleaned them, never came back after that

KLKelly

I have no clue but I'm interested though.

I did a few quick google searches - a number of them mention drift wood like the previous poster.

Some of them mentioned decaying live rock - but I think this is only relevant in reef/saltwater aquariums.

I hope you find out what it is!

Karrie

missmandy

it doesnt seem to be on the driftwood, only the rock. I bought the rock at BA i think its called lace rock but i'm not sure.

busdriver

I have some on some new driftwood I bought, took it out of the tank, cleaned all off, put it back in the tank, it came back, so as there is nothing else but driftwood and gravel and water in the tank, I'm just going to wait and see what happens to it.
If it gets too bad I'll take it out, put the driftwood in boiling water and then see if it comes back. ::)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

PoisonJello

well if it is only on your rocks and your rocks came from BA then I am guessing its something on the BA stuff because that is where my driftwood came from also...after i cleaned it off teh wood it came back a bit but i put 2 apple snails in there and they cleaned off the little bit that did come back

busdriver

The pictures describe what is on my driftwood! ???
Can you tell me what it is?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

KLKelly

I found this post on the loach forum: http://forums.loaches.com/viewtopic.php?p=44944&sid=33ddba1cdea2253180a0034dc7590ec0

One post:  What kind of tree is it? Could be surface rot, which means the branch isn't completely dead yet. This happens a lot for wood that's extremely porous, lots of microbes still alive and kicking in there.

Another: Frequently 'driftwood' will develop white/clear/stinky (but it shouldn't smell sulfuric) slime when initially placed in an aquarium. If you don't have snails or a pleco to clean it, it will hang in there for a while but usually goes away on it's own after time. Boiling doesn't seem to stop it. I've read it sometimes comes from wood that hasn't been cured enough and still retains some of the natural sap or live organics in it.

Maybe the rock has organics in it somehow ????

Karrie

RoxyDog

Terry, that looks n-a-s-t-y!  but it looks like what I had a bit of on a piece of wood before.  my pleco and snails did indeed clean it off for me.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

PoisonJello

that picture is the same thing I had on my driftwood but i didn't let it get that bad  ;D that looks terrible
oh ya mine stinks bad also