Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fahaka Puffers in the Ottawa Area?

Started by Mettle, March 07, 2007, 09:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

Has anyone here ever owned one of these fish?

Or seen one for sale at any of the stores in Ottawa? (If so, how big was the one you saw for sale? And most importantly, how much?)

I've been thinking about setting up a 6' long tank (probably a 180 gallon, though not sure) and one of the things I was thinking about putting in the tank was a fahaka puffer. These guys are by far one of the most intriguing fish I have ever encountered. And seeing as how I gravitate more towards fish with semi-aggressive to aggressive attitudes with distinctive personalities this one certainly the cake. Or at least a big piece of it.

Don't worry - I am very familiar with the care required for puffers including their diet, issues with not feeding them enough hard shelled food, etc.

squeeker

The problem with large fish like Fahaka puffers is the size they get to.  Most puffer keepers recommend a tank that has a footprint of 6' x 2', and I am not aware of any tank manufacturers that make a tank that is wider than 18".  Since these puffers grow so quickly, and aren't flexible like arrowanas, turning radius is a huge consideration.

I've never seen them in pet stores, and I'm glad, too... I hated selling fish that I knew were unable to be housed properly due to  manufacturers' tank sizes (pacu, ID sharks, large arrowanas, even stingrays).

I also love Fahakas, but I'll have to wait until I can afford to put a lot of time and energy into a custom tank.

BigDaddy

180's and 210's have a standard footprint of 6 x 2

squeeker

Well there ya go.  Shows I've never seen one in person, eh?

Mettle

Or simply make something custom like a plywood tank. :)

But yeah - the more research I did the more I realized I'd likely have to go for quite the large tank.

I also agree with you Squeeker on having had to sell fish that I knew would be mistreated. I'll never forget, towards the end of my SP stint, when a person came in asking we we'd take her 8" piranhas and that she had two. We said no problem. What they brought in were 1.5' long pacus in THE MOST DISGUSTING water I have ever seen a fish have to endure. It was BRUTAL.

I freaked on them for lying to us about the size and the species of the fish and told them very frankly that given the condition of the water I was surprised they were even alive and that I had the inclination to vomit all over their shoes just from smelling it. I don't think they'll ever shop SP again. ;D But believe me I was some pissed off.

Fahaka puffers, like I said, have been on my 'must own' list for a while now. So I've have the opportunity to do a lot of research on them. I was asking mainly because I wanted to test the water on how available they are or if I'll be relegated to trying a special order ot something when the time comes.