Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Baby shrimps

Started by grenso, March 20, 2007, 06:07:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenso

I am now the proud daddy of some tinny winny baby ghost shrimps. Unfortunately I have never had any experience with these little twerps before. gonna_b_no_1 suggested i use inforusia, unfortunately I have no idea what that is. At the moment I am using crashed fish flakes and I still have no idea whether they are eating the powder or not. Help people...

grenso

Laura

Congrats!
Do a search on petshrimp.net for info on them and their needs.  They are unfortunately often predated on by tankmates and adult shrimp.
I don't know squat about infusoria, but I googled them and came up with "Infusoria is the name given to certain single-celled microorganisms. Infusoria are often present in the aquarium. Infusoria can be cultured by adding crushed banana or lettuce to a jar filled with aquarium water. Within a few days, the presence of infusoria can be determined by the cloudy water. Feed the infusoria using an eyedropper"
I'm sure you can find more info from better sites than I pulled this one from though ;)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

fishycanuck

Infusoria - like mosquito larvae, right? Laura is right about the recipe. I had heard of the lettuce in a jar before, never banana. Might not be able to eat either of those food items again after making a brew for your shrimp....

zapisto

Quote from: grenso on March 20, 2007, 06:07:41 AM
I am now the proud daddy of some tinny winny baby ghost shrimps. Unfortunately I have never had any experience with these little twerps before. gonna_b_no_1 suggested i use inforusia, unfortunately I have no idea what that is. At the moment I am using crashed fish flakes and I still have no idea whether they are eating the powder or not. Help people...

grenso

are they already shrimp ?
or are they still Zoe ?
if they are already shrimp , dont bother to search any special food for them , them will eat the same thing , adult eat , just make sure you remove any tankmate (except snail).

if they are still Zoe, infusoruia , is an option but you have others , like , golden pearl, rotifer powder (<50 micron), artemia powder (< 50 micron) etc....
zoe always stay in water column and will not go on the bottom.