Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Something New for Nerine :D

Started by Nerine, March 09, 2007, 10:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nerine

I changed my tanks to sand!!!

I found a want ad for gravel and sold all my gravel (including the stuff in pots and buckets on the floor) and bought sand :) (gravel actually sells tomorrow)

woohoo!!!
I have sand :)

it looks so pretty! I will take pics later...right now the water is a bit cloudy still and nothing is in the proper place because the catfish are angry and I ain't sticking my hands in angry catfish infested waters ;)

also...I have become a snail freak ;)
I sat there for an hour and pulled out mts's out of the gravel and put them back into the tank hehehe including all the itty bitty baby snails :D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

babblefish1960

Well now, isn't that a bit of news. I must say that this sounds a bit off the cuff and, oh, let me see, irrational, nope, that isn't it, bizzare, maybe, maybe not, certainly out of left field. That is interesting that the catfish want to have some words with you about it, good idea to give them some time to cool off.

Good for you for rescuing the malaysian trumpet snails, they are an important part of the system success.

I suppose that we can now call you a sand weirdo and a snail weirdo now. ;)

Everything should settle down and you can go back to playing the viola to soothe the nasty catfish, look forward to the pictures of your madness. :D

Nerine

yes they are a very important part of my system! plus I love snails :D

I had the tank nicely planted and driftwood in place and had to tear it all up and since I'm still sick, I just threw everything in a pile in the tank...my poor fish :( hopefully I will feel better to fix it all up tomorrow :)

Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

RoxyDog

Quote from: Nerine on March 09, 2007, 10:56:28 PM
yes they are a very important part of my system! plus I love snails :D

Welcome to the dark side Nerine.  :)  Pretty soon you'll start going to fish stores just to look at snails.   :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

Nerine

I caught myself doing that yesterday!!!

was at superpet kanata (I saw some ovas people there!), and big al's kanata :) at big al's they had lots of empty huge shells :(
I'd love to get some large snails :D

sas

Nice Nerine, for big snails try the apples. Bought 3 for my son for doing so well in school last fall :D, they were the size of quarters and have now grown to the size of baseballs :o. Not for planted tanks though for sure :(.

Nerine

I love apple snails but I also love my plants!!

babblefish1960

Brigs don't get quite as large as apples and don't eat plants, but they also come with some pretty nifty colours, nifty that is if you are a snail weirdo. ;)

Laura

Quote from: babblefish1960 on March 10, 2007, 10:47:36 PM
Brigs don't get quite as large as apples and don't eat plants, but they also come with some pretty nifty colours, nifty that is if you are a snail weirdo. ;)
Brigs are fabulous for us snail weirdos.  They're the hit of my tank and are perfectly plant safe.  So safe in fact you need to feed them as they can starve in your tank.  Cana's are the larger plant eaters.  See applesnail.net for more info than you ever wanted to know about snails. :D
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

White Lightning

Hey Nerine,  Congrats on getting rid of the gravel and choosing to get some sand. I really like the sand. My Golden apple snail loves it. Well I really don't know for sure whether he loves it or not. I am only assuming he does, since he hasn't died after four months of roaming around in it. Although he hasn't really seemed to have grown very much. Perhaps  after another eight months he will have grown some by then. Who knows? Do you ever have to feed your snails? If so, what do you feed them?

beowulf

Algea waffers are a good thing to add.

Nerine

I have fed my snails wafers, zucchini, mushy peas...and they happily dined on my plants! :)
right now I just have MTS roaming free in the tank!

the sand looks great! the tank has finally cleared up and now I just need to add everything, still not feeling 100% so I threw all the decor in a pile in the middle of the tank hehe the fish are a bit peeved but they'll get over it! :) hopefully tonight I'll feel up to redecorating!!

thanks for the suggestions on snails!