Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Bolivian Ram Behavior

Started by neon, March 13, 2007, 03:34:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I have 2 Bolivian Rams, I was told when I bought them at LFS that they were male and female.  I saw one grabbing the other ones jaw the other day, from the front.  Is this mating or fighting behavior?

zapisto

well
it is really hard to sex bolivian ram........
for this dont look like matting.

neon

LFS told me that the male's top fin (dorsal)?, is longer than the females.

PrincessFish

I had the same situation - LFS thought they had sold me a male and female but I had the mouth fighting too and they turned out to be 2 males.  I now have a female in with them and it was clear right from the start that she was a female!  They started jockeying for position with her immediately.  And . . . it seems that the best way to tell is by the tail - males have longer somewhat trailing or pointed ends while females do not - their tails are pretty much just straight across.  This from the person who found me the female.

pF

mseguin

My angels do a jaw fight every now and then, and some other vicious behaviour, and they're definitely a pair. The rams could just be incompatible

zapisto

Quote from: mseguin on March 14, 2007, 12:34:12 AM
My angels do a jaw fight every now and then, and some other vicious behaviour, and they're definitely a pair. The rams could just be incompatible
matt dont compare bolivian rams and angel :)
bealieve me not same behavior :)