Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting?!?!?!?!

Started by malroy77, March 23, 2007, 08:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malroy77

Hey,

i was just wondering if anyone has any info on lighting. I have just a typical florescent light for my tank and i was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to put a timer on them? I put the light on about 7 in the morning but sometI'mes im not home till after midnight...and i don't think thats too good for the fish! I was looking at some flyers and they have some timers on sale, does anyone know if they would work? If not any other idea's???

Thanks a ton,

Mal  :)

kennyman

Some of the older lights you had to hold down the button for a bit to get it to turn on. But the newer ones should all have the easy start thing going on. They work with timers just fine  8)

BigDaddy

Extra light is no problem for fish.  The problem is you'll tend to get algae in the tank with lengthy photoperiod.

malroy77

catfishsteve

I have a standard two tube 4 foot flourecent with plant growing bulbs with a outdoor timer from Canadian tire.
works fine. 7am - 10 pm almost no algae to as these lights are not that powerful.

groan

i had too much algae with 130 watts on a 70 gallon so i am splititng my light cycle to 7-12 and off from 12-5 then back on 5 - 10:30

i just started this so i dont know how well it will work, i still have lots of algae after about a month of this.

homestar726

If you really want to get creative, buy to timers... One for regular light, and one for moonlighting :D