Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Are these snails Nerine?

Started by audioslave_36, March 25, 2007, 07:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioslave_36

Not to sound stupid here how do snails reproduce ? I ask this question because I bought 120lbs or so of rock from Nerine(who is all so the one who told me about this wonderful site) and there are alot of little snails in it, two different types from what I can see. But back on track here, I was cleaning my tank today when I came to a section of rock that has hundreds of little black pebble like things, I mean tiny. and they were not there on Wednesday when I cleaned. Could these be baby snails, or pleco eggs ?

Dave

succinctfish

Here's a link with photos of various freshwater snails, have a look, maybe you'll find some of your unexpected tank residents in there.  :)

http://www.applesnail.net/content/snails_various.php

audioslave_36

Thank you succinctfish. I think the two types of snails I have are shown there but I'm still not so sure about all the little black thingys I have.  :-\

babblefish1960

Are they encapsulated in goo of any kind? Would you be able to take a reasonably clear picture of them?

audioslave_36

They are all separate I am thinking they are little snails because they are gone back into the rock and I do not have an undergravel cleaner to suck them back down so the are definitely mobile.  as for pics all I can do is stir them again and try   ;)

Nerine

yeah you would have snails in the gravel!! I picked out a LOT of them because I wanted them!!! but I know I did not get them all :)

as for the black things...am currious!!!! I don't have any bugs or anything like that! waiting for a photo!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

audioslave_36

LOL I never said they were bugs. I was just wondering how snails reproduce and could these be baby snails.  anyway  I will try to get a pic of them and post it.