Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is this right amount of fish!

Started by washefuzzy, March 27, 2007, 06:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

Hi folks
Oka I have 20 gal aqurium
I have 9 danios
          3 platies
          Pet ecetera took back my 5 gold barbs :'(
          I exchanged this for a peppered cory and 2 bronze corys.

Is this good did I do oka. Should I get rid off some danios and get more corys, can i get more corys :-\. I'm having so much fun thinking after the fact but it just didn't look like an aquarium with out some cories and I love zippy danios.

BigDaddy

Honestly, 9 danios plus platies and cories is a bit heavily stocked for a 20 gallon, depending on which danios you have... but it is definately much better than having 5 barbs.

The general rule of thumb when you are getting your feet wet is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water.  Given that the smallest danios reach almost two inches... 9 danios need almost 20 gallons alone.  Now.. cories and danios aren't exactly a huge bioload... but it is usually safer to understock a tank than overstock one.

fishycanuck

What he said.
Leave it be, test the parameters and do your pwc weekly, and make some decisions after a month or so. If you're like the rest of us, you'll decide that what you need is a much bigger tank..... ;)