Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

FS Obligation

Started by washefuzzy, March 30, 2007, 11:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I'm I obligated to sell to the first person who says it's mine our can I go for who is going to pay me most?

babblefish1960

Quote from: washefuzzy on March 30, 2007, 11:47:24 PM
I'm I obligated to sell to the first person who says it's mine our can I go for who is going to pay me most?
That is a good question, as it happens, you are not compelled to sell anything to anyone, further to that, even should someone arrive at your door, you can change your mind and not sell to that person for whatever reason. Moreover, by the same token, you are not obliged to purchase something as well, there may be any numbers of reasons why, that is immaterial, the fact remains that these are personal private transactions, that fall under personal experience and bias.

Additionally, though there is a race for folks at times to try and get to the object of their desire first, being first in the gate does not mean that the object is yours, there is no queue to these private dealings, there are judgements, and these are completely personal and private, there are no cries of "foul", because little Johnny saw it first before little Suzie.

In closing, whatever arrangements you choose to make, are yours and yours alone, there are some guides of etiquette however, and these are what make for our "lists" we each carry in our own heads of people we are not comfortable dealing with.

I hope that answers your questions.

babblefish1960

A reminder regarding the second question which I failed to answer, is that there are no auctions on the board, should you like to present something to the highest bidder, we have mini-auctions each meeting month.

Now if your question was that you had something at a "listed price or best offer", then yes, if you have a number of offers under your asking price, you may choose to sell to whomever is closest to your asking price, and not to the first person who is trying to talk you down.

Personally, I expect to pay what someone is asking, as this is often the price they have chosen. I also expect people to pay what I am asking or move on, unless I specify "or best offer".

As you can see, there are many things to consider, so shop carefully, and you would be pleasantly surprised how much more fulfilling it is to get to meet some of the people here and find new friends rather than mere marks to win.

babblefish1960

With regard to the auction style of selling within the classified forum, it is simply not allowed. When there is a price being asked, offering more money to entice the seller to choose the higher price is both bad etiquette, mercenary, and auction bidding. This manner of behaviour can eventually lead to restrictions from within the website. Auctions will not be tolerated on the boards.

washefuzzy

Thank you very much that clarrifies alot.