Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ramshorn Snail Questions?

Started by PrincessFish, March 29, 2007, 10:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrincessFish

Is there someone out there who can provide some info about Ramshorns?  I am thinking about getting some as I have gotten to the algae stage. 

What about Laura's comment that snails produce a big bio load?  How many would I need to keep up with algae and would I find my tank overstocked (see current stocking below)

Will the smaller Ramshorn breeds be ok with plants? since the Giants are not.  I have a planted tank.

Current stock in 25g (seems like a comfy sized group to me):
3 Bolivian Rams
4 Tetras (Bentosi)
3 corys
Malasian Trumpet Snails

Thanks in advance!

succinctfish

We have small ramshorn snails, they just arrived, as snails often do.  They don't cause any damage to our plants, just seem to munch happily at the algae.  Now, the tank happens to have a tasty supply of algae at the moment.  If you end up with a pristine tank, you might want to supplement their diet with algae wafers.  Another good algae eater is the freshwater nerite snail, very cute snails.  See this thread for a photo:
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=15413.0
Welcome to the wonderful wacky world of snail weirdos  :D

damarech

kennyman

I had Ramshorn with a red foot for quite a while. They do reproduce well but not on the same scale as pond snails or Malayan. Many people classify red ramshorn as a pest snail but I found them to be alright. I think those Nerites mentioned in the past few days are more ornamental though.

Melody

The large bioloads are created by the large snails.  I look at the smaller snails as compensating for their own waste in maintenance duties.  They process the waste, such as extra food & dead plants, turning it into a form that is more readily used by your plants and more readily tackled by the beneficial bacteria.   What they produce is far better than food rotting in your tank from a bio standpoint, for example. 

However, when you add an algae eater to tackle an existing algae problem, you are not only removing a beneficial plant in regards to your bio system, you are also adding the  waste.   They'll still perform janitorial duties but the scale wouldn't be completely balanced for awhile.

You would need a decent number to keep up with algae issues, especially if you use small snails like Ramshorns, and all species prefer different algaes with little rhyme nor reason to it.  I usually recommend that snails be used in combination with a BN Pleco or (true) SAE.  If you want to tackle an existing algae problem, I'd probably use larger snails along with the suggested fish.  Nerites and P. Bridgesii are the best option in the larger category if you want to control the population and keep your plants safe.

If you have a low pH in the tank, your best option in the snail category would be Trumpet snails or Ramshorns. :)

PrincessFish

Thanks everyone!!  I really appreciat your input.  I think I will pick up a couple of true SAEs (will be careful about identification) and am on the lookout for Ramshorns . . . anyone know where I can find some??