Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Under Gravel Jets

Started by audioslave_36, March 22, 2007, 11:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioslave_36

Hi there, someone on here has been posting pics of thier tank in progress, they built there own under gravel jets system, I want to do the same thing in my 220 gal tank. Could someone please tell me where I can find this thread again (I know, but I am a newbie :) ) or if someone knows who this person is, or that person reads this please contact me.

thank you

Dave

garnpet

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Laura

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

beowulf

Quote from: Laura on March 23, 2007, 08:19:32 AM
for additional info:
http://www.loaches.com/articles/a-river-runs-through-it
and
http://www.loaches.com/articles/river-tank-manifold-design

Funny you post that I was going to do the same thing.  when I get my 220g I was going to be doing the second one to get the flow my clown loaches love!!!

audioslave_36

Wow, thank you for all the replies. :)

such a helpful bunch here.

Dave

Adam

Hi,

That's my 150 gallon with the UGJs...

I'm going to be modifying it now.  As it stands, I have an 'open' system.  This means that the pressure down the line will be reduced.  The jets nearest the pumps will have the most flow, and the others will have the least. 

I'm going to put it into a 'closed' loop system.  This means I'm going to make a full circuit with the end and beginning in one continuous loop to get a more even flow out of each jet.  I will also be moving the jets around because I'm putting in a gutter/rock background to hide the pumps.  Thankfully I didn't glue any of the pieces together.  If you have any questions, www.cichlid-forum.com is a good place, or you can ask me any questions and I'll hopefully be able to answer them for you.  Good luck!

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

audioslave_36

Thank you Adam, I am sure you will here from me :)

audioslave_36

actually I do have a question for you.  What size pumps/power heads are you planning on going with ?

the dimentions of my 220g are 72"x24"30 and I am going to lay mine out pretty much the same as yours but as a closed loop also.

Dave

Adam

I'm going to go with two Rio 10HFs... But you should aim for about 125gph/jet...

I don't know if they will be enough for the 5 jets, so I may go with just 4 jets.  I have no idea what kind of pumps you should get.  I asked around for about a month and got no answer...so i did some calculating using the reef central head loss calculator, some math and figured i they could do the job...But I'm redoing everything...and they have a 3/4" outlet vs. my 1/2" pvc piping.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

audioslave_36

OK so I bought all my supplies today to do the UGJ's and I got enough to do the "a river flows through" also. when I get it done I will post some pics.

Dave

audioslave_36

OK as promissed here are some progress pics of my undergravel jets and my  "a river flows through it"

input is welcome.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

audioslave_36

and a couple more .

Adam

Those 90 degree bends will really cut down on your flow.  Try 2-45 degree angles instead.  Also, mounting your pump as close to the loop as possible will increase flow.  Other than that, it looks pretty good.

Adam

audioslave_36

I tried to get 45's, I went to Rona, home depot, and Canadian tire. only Canadian tire had 6 the other two had none :( which Rona did you get yours at ?

audioslave_36

hello again

here are some updated pics of my UGJ's. I took Adams advice:)

Dave

Adam

Looking good...which pumps did you end up going with?

What did you attach the pumps to the PVC with?  That tubing with the cross-hatched wires?  What is it called, and where did you get it?

I haven't done anything with my UGJs.  I'm making a trip to HD tomorrow to get some more parts to make the closed loop and I'm still waiting for my pumps.  24-48 business days shipping.  HAH.  It's been 12 b. days.

Adam

audioslave_36

OK for the "A river runs through" I used two maxx-jet 600's and on the UGJ's I have a maxx-jet 1200 and if that is not enough flow I still have two more maxx-jet 1200's. I could always make it into two closed loop sections if I need more flow.

The tubing that I used to link the jet's to the tubes is water pump tubing, I just took a piece of PVC and the base of my power head with me an pick up a piece that was really snug fitting, I got it home hardware $1.19 for a foot :). it is woven plastic safe for water flow for human consumpsion.

It takes a long time to build these systems, but it is very satisfying when you get it sitting in the bottom of your tank.  ;D

Dave