Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

sumps & hob overflows

Started by audioslave_36, April 07, 2007, 07:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioslave_36

Hi there I just bought a sump, a mag 7, and hob overflow for my 220g tank, I am just curious, if this over flow and pump are running and the power goes out is it going to drain my 220g tank ? or when the power comes back on is it going to drain my sump and over flow my 220 ?  or am I worrying about nothing ?

Dave

darkphreak

If the tank is empty, your best bet would be to have it drilled and use a no internal box style overflow as seen in the diagram in this post...http://aquariacanada.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6913

audioslave_36

I'm not to keen on drilling, it is a big investment to crack. :-\

Dave

darkphreak

There are 2 people that drill tanks in the area. They havent cracked a tank yet. Its a slow process and well worth it IMO, better then having a flood caused by the hob overflow.

audioslave_36

If I do decide to have my tank drilled  :o, where would the best and safest spot be to drill for the over flows? I know sniggir's drills tanks, what are your thoughts. ? :-\

Dave

darkphreak

Ive never drilled a tank but "One Salty Dog" and/or "Liv" over on AC will drill it for you. They will suggest the best place for it to be drilled, more then likely they would drill 2 holes on the rear of the tank 2-4" from the top and sides. Then all you'd have to do is build a simple pipe thingy and glue/screw it all together.

This is what most people use when they have their tanks drilled for an overflow...

http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showphoto.php/photo/2164/what/allfields/name/cres

Real simple and ALOT better then HOB overflow

sniggir

you can also go to princess auto and get a nice strainer for like 5 buck
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!