Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sump for freshwater tank

Started by normc, April 16, 2007, 05:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

Does anyone use a sump with a fresh water system.  Also do you have to drill the tank.

bitterman

Yes Norm I have a sump for my Frontosa setup and my 65 corner tank.

My main tanks are drilled, but you can use syphon overflows. I woudl say drill the tank, as it is less likely to have problems. syphon overflows sometimes look the prime and cause floods.

Bruce

normc

Can anyone point to plans for a sump. I haven't decided yet if I want one ???

redbelly

Plans of a sump are really determined by what you want in your sump.

If you are not worried about micro bubbles in the main tank then your sump can just be a regular tank with nothing added.

If you are, then you need baffles.

For FW you could add a nice little section that the water would have to flow through sponges to pull particles out of the water.

bitterman, what is most important in a sump for fw?

If you are looking for just a basic layout though a quick google search will produce lots of designs.

When my exams are all done and papers all in I will be posting a thread under ottawa inverts with some of the sumps that I have build for sw customers.

bitterman

Most important is that the sump hold water  ;) j/K :D

Well on a more serious note, My sump is very simple, Just a tank that holds my trickle filter, heaters and pumps.

Below are 2 articles on my DIY trickle filter and water change system. Without a sump these would not be possible.  I do not have any bubble baffles in my sump, but I do have floss on top of my trickle filter to help filter larger particle and keep my bio media cleaner.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=44

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=52

Sizing of the sump is important, make sure you have enough space from the high water level such that if the power goes out it does not overflow.

I am using Mag Drive pumps for water return. I have a Mag12 for my 195 and a Mag 7 for my 65. They both share a 30 gallon sump (I do need a larger sump!!!!!!!!)

If you are planning a med-high light planted tank a sump IS NOT a good idea as it will result in dissolved Co2 being rapidly removed from the system and most likely result in algae problems.

I like the low maitence that a sump proviedes! All I do is clean my bio media about 1-2 times a year by swirling it in a bucket of tank water.  The floss ont he trickle filter is checked weekly, and normally need cleaning about ever 2 weeks.

In the future I want to make an acryillic sump, with bubble baffles, lighted sectioned refrium for grow out/tumbling frontosa eggs/fry. A couple places for water to flow through sponges or floss would also be added also. The refrium could be used also to put plants in to act as a nitrate sponge. Additionally I coudl disontinue the use of a pump to remove water from the sump but just drilling a hole and adding a bulkhead for excess water to gravity drain out to my basements sump pump.

Bruce

normc

You talked me out of it. In time I want to go the CO2 tank route.

babblefish1960

That is just silly normc, why on earth would you put fish into a CO2 tank, I mean that couldn't be very nice to look at them through the hole in the top, they would only ever see your eye peering into their CO2 tank! Silly rabbit.

normc

Can I get some of what ever it is you're drinking or is it smoking ;D ;D ;D ;D