Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Building a trickle sump

Started by KLKelly, April 22, 2007, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KLKelly

I've had it with the particles throughout my tank.  I built a trickle filter in the basement (2 bins, trickle tower, return pump) and it isn't enough.  I have to find a way to clean out the main tank and keep it particle free.  (my other tanksare smaller and I'm carting city water for them).  RO machine was ruled out and isn't an option.

I am working on setting up a trickle tower/sump.  I've seen the homedepot trickle tower on google and its on this site too (cool!). 

I have a bunch of questions that I would love your guys feedback on:
1.  I've been buying the big Al's floss for the trickle tower but that is getting expensive.  Is there something I could use in both the sump and trickle tower that would be cheaper and do a good job but safe for my fish?

2.  With two recent power outages - how would I prevent flooding  - both ways overflowing the main tank if the pipe loses its suction and also prevent flooding of the sump if there is a power outage.  The tank isn't drilled. I can't afford a power backup.   (I have a less than ideal setup in my basement trickle tower because I couldn't find ball valves).

Would ball valves prevent flooding.  If so where can I get these.  I've looked over the entire city - homedepot, rona, cdn tire, boone plumbing etc.

3.  I'd like to keep the sump (40 gallon tank) in the basement behind the tank wall.  Any issues with having it about 2 feet behind the tank?

darkdep

For floss: go to Wal-Mart and buy 100% polyester floss in the area where you'd buy material. Tell one of the old ladies working there you're looking for pillow stuffing.

Get the stuff without any anti-mildew stuff or whatever (if it doesn't say it has it, it DOESN'T). You can buy a bag for $20 that will last you the rest of your life. Field tested for years by many.

sniggir

well if you are worried about flodding as most of us SW freaks are get your tank drilled, and build your plumbing, then if you go to reefcentral they have a calculator to tell ya how much room you need left in your sump to handle if your return pump is not working.....ahhhh then you can sleep at night
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!