Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Spezialfett

Started by normc, April 22, 2007, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

This a lubricant that came with my Eheim canister filter. It is used on the primer so that seal slide smoothly. Does any body know what the English equivalent is called.

babblefish1960

Simply put it is just a silicone based grease type lubricant. You want something food safe though, as fishing reel lubricant is not for aquarium fish.

BigDaddy

Essentially, it is a "quick fix" solution should your O ring go.  You can line your O ring with it while you wait for a replacement part.

fishycanuck

= special fat. I'm serious.

babblefish1960

That is very true fishycanuck, I didn't want to go there in case someone thought it might go well on toast. When the Germans invented synthetic oil, grease, fuel and margarine, desert tank crews were equipped with only one pail of the stuff for the gearboxes, final drives and their bread, so I thought I had better clarify, though this is food grade, it is not meant to be eaten.

O-rings wear out, especially true if they aren't lubricated when installed, whenever you take your equipment apart, they must be completely clean and free of debris of any kind, and lubricated at the very least with tank water, or you will wear them out prematurely.

gonzobluefuzz

I'm guessing it's something along the lines of  Dow Corning DC4. Tons of uses ..I go thru at least a tube of this stuff a month at work.

Heres a quick description I found
http://www.skygeek.com/dc4.html

here is the material safety data sheet
ftp://ftp.dynamax.com/MSDS/G4%20MSDS.pdf

G