Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Sponge Filter

Started by matt, April 26, 2007, 05:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

Hey, I just bought a sponge filter to go in my 10G tank and I was just wondering if the shaft that the bubbles go up in should be completely underwater or if the tip should stick out???? Also should I have as much bubbles going into it as I can or can I use a regulator to cut down on them? thanks in advance.

babblefish1960

The tube that the bubbles come up out of must be under water, otherwise the action the bubbles are trying to create becomes static. They are trying to draw the water into the filter to the centre, so try and make it easier for them.  If the bubbles are roiling too much, they will actually block this current they are meant to create as well, so the deeper the tip the better, and moderate bubbling, there are skinny airstones that you can put deeper into the tube that will help work a little better too.

matt

Sounds good. So I put an air stone inside the tube to help things a bit as you said, but you also said the deeper the tip the better.....I can't get the tip any deeper than about an inch from the surface. Is that deep enough or should I cut the tube a little to make it shorter?

babblefish1960

It would be good to cut the tip shorter, as you haven't much room for evaporation, otherwise it should be fine.

matt

Thank you so much for the tips......they are greatly appreciated! ;D