Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Digital wireless thermometer

Started by Sue, May 01, 2007, 12:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sue

There is a Digital wireless thermometer on sale at CT this week for 9.99. (15$ off regular price) I bought it for use as an outdoor thermometer, because it's a really good price for a wireless one.  When I brought it home, I noticed it includes a probe it lists for use in pools or hot tubs, and it has a temperature alarm feature.  I think I'll use it to monitor pond temperature so I can watch if it gets too cold at night (for tropical fish) with out even having to go outside to check.  Would the probe and alarm feature also work to warn of a tank overheating?  I thought I'd pass along the info in case anyone else is interested in the sale, or knows if it would work on aquariums too.

babblefish1960

It sounds very intriguing for certain, but I'm afraid I don't know what CT could be?

mseguin

See try to shorten anything at all and babblefish gets confused, it has to be lengthy. CT = Canadian (or Crappy) Tire

babblefish1960

Oh, now I get it, sorry, I thought it was somewhere in Connecticut, silly me, CTC I would have gotten, or Mexican Auto, sorry about that, thanks mseguin, now I can cease being Befuddledfish. ;)

hamstercaster

What are we going to do about you Babblefish when the simplest of abbreviation needs a lenghty explanation  :D

As for the thermometer, I suppose that it will set off the alarm for temperature going too high or too low as I'm sure it's a feature that will have been deemed useful by the company who makes it as you wouldn't want to burn yourself entering a spa of boiling water  ;)... but then again, who knows what the company deem to be useful nowasays...

Saltcreep

Great tip - thanks!

I went and bought two of these things last night. Simply put, they work great. However, the ones I got didn't come with the probe for water or soil. I checked online this morning and the extra transmitter with the probe sells for $24.95 plus shipping, taxes and whatever. For that price, I'll be continuing the experiment I started last night. Once I determined that they actually worked, my mind immediately turned to aquarium applications. Since I didn't have the probe, I put the transmitter into a plastic spice bottle I had lying around (it fit perfectly), added some gravel for ballast and sunk it into the Piranha tank. Within about five minutes, the unit was reporting a temp of 78F, exactly the same as the Coralife digital already on the tank. The range of the unit is not that great, 80 feet at best, but it seems to work fine in and around the fishroom.  Each base unit is capable of receiving data from up to three remote transmitters - you just toggle through them with a button. I tested this with the two I have and this also works great. I had one receiver down in the fishroom and the other in the workshop. Each receiver recognized both transmitters so from each one I can monitor two tanks and room temperature. An added bonus is that these units are more accurate than most - they report Fahrenheit temperature to one tenth of a degree. I'll be picking up at least two more tonight.

Shrimpy

Quote from: Saltcreep on May 02, 2007, 09:32:56 AM
An added bonus is that these units are more accurate than most - they report Fahrenheit temperature to one tenth of a degree. I'll be picking up at least two more tonight.

I think you mean the resolution is 0.1 of a degree Farenheit not the accuracy.
Resolution is the decimal places the display will show you.
Accuracy is the +/- of the temperature it is displaying.  ;)

Saltcreep

Quote from: Shrimpy on May 02, 2007, 02:22:48 PM
I think you mean the resolution is 0.1 of a degree Farenheit not the accuracy.
Resolution is the decimal places the display will show you.
Accuracy is the +/- of the temperature it is displaying.  ;)

You are absolutely correct about the distinction between resolution and accuracy. I actually knew that, but it just didn't come out right.

Accuracy is pretty good too though ..

From the supplied documentation ..

Indoor Station (receiver) 32F - 156.2F with 0.2F resolution. (0C - 69.0C with 0.1C resolution).

Remote Temperature Sensor -21.8F - 156.2F with 0.2F resolution. (-29.9C - 69.0C with 0.1C resolution).

Temp Accuracy +/- 1F (+/- 0.5C)

P.S. Anybody know the extended ascii key combination for the degree symbol?

PaleoFishGirl

You can use ALT0176 for it on Windows °

Saltcreep