Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mouth Brooding Fish recommendation

Started by alparent, May 15, 2007, 10:48:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alparent

I have a breeding tank in my rack and there is nothing in it.
I didn't know what I wanted to try next? Did the livebearer, did the bettas, did the convicts.....
They I remembered seeing those cool mouth brooding fish! That's what I want to try next!

Any suggestions on what's the best mouth brooding fish to start with?
Are kribs mouth brooding fish?

I want the real thing. I want to see the fry comming in and out off their mouth!

I reed that Tanganyikan cichlids are cool?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

mseguin

Kribs aren't mouthbrooders, and most Tangs aren't either, I think Tropheus are the only really popular ones. I've read that some of the African riverine mouthbrooders are pretty easy to keep and breed, but harder to find.
Pseudocrenilabrus multicolor victoriae   http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2582
is one example

beowulf

You have done Bettas but have you done mouth brooding ones?  That might be something interesting.

sniggir

well frontosa are mouth brooders and I would say that they are very popular.. ophthalmotilapia,Trophious and xenotilapia are all mouth brooding Tang cichlids
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!