Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Activated Carbon and Biomax

Started by matt, May 10, 2007, 07:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt

So I've read on a few websites that in a planted aquarium activated carbon should not be used since it removes trace elements that are used by the plants themselves. Also that using it might increase phosphates levels and create algae blooms. Is any of this true? I was thinking of not using carbon in my tanks anymore since they are all cycled, should this cause any problems? And finally for the biomax supplied by AC, they say to replace it every two months. Since it only is used as a surface for bacteria to grow, why would I need to replace it? Thanks in advance for any comments.

normc

I've never used carbon unless I was trying  to solve a problem (remove meds etc) and I've never had a problem related to the lack of carbon. And never while cycling.

sas

Likewise here.......I don't use carbon regularly. The only time I would use carbon is removing meds. and once every couple months in the discus tank. As far as the BioMax goes, my instructions say change every 3 months, and only change half, I'm running 2 Fluval FX5's. Having said that I haven't followed those instructions :-[, I've just been giving them a really good rinse in tank water.

matt

With that being said...the carbon is out of my filters and the biomax will get a good rinsing instead of being changed. Thank you all for the info

PoisonJello

a few different LFS told me only replace the biomax if it starts to crumble other then that just rinse in used tanks water to clean it some

RoxyDog

yup, replace the biomax only if it starts to breakdown.  I don't even rinse mine.   :-[ 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.