Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can actinic lights be used over freshwater?

Started by zima, May 17, 2007, 10:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zima

Hi all!

A silly question from a rookie. I bought a compact flourescent fixture, but it happens to have an actinic light bulb in it. I only have freshwater tanks, so I was wondering what are the possible effects the actinic lights would have on plants. Any benefit at all? Or would it make a difference or, worse yet, kill the plants? What about the fishies?

babblefish1960

Not a silly question at all, in fact, an interesting one as well.

This is a long story, so brace yourself, I have used actinics over my freshwater planted tanks for quite a long time for moonlighting. This is for my own amusement of course, as there is significant evidence that would deign to declare that it has no benefit for either plants, fish, nor any emotional attachment to moon cycles.

I personally could care less what the latest popular theory may be, for example, actinic can be used to enhance colours of both fish and plants, not to any detriment to either, nor really to any benefit, merely to your own eye for your viewing pleasure.

As for the usefulness of this colour range, though this is up for debate, I feel that it is not harmful, and is still light, and who knows, it may be more useful than a black out apocalypse cloak.

As for moon lights in freshwater tanks, if it didn't matter at all, then why would the fish from the tropics see the moon at all, it's up there, they may as well see it, besides, I find my spawning fish find it good for fighting off predators overnight when they are protecting their fry. I also believe that it is instrumental in keeping my many fish spawning all over the place as well.

As for the extreme length of my reply, I lied, you got yourself the abbreviated version. ;D

zima

Very interesting. I never thought of using the actinic lights as moonlights over freshwater. However, looking at the fish under the actinic light right now (and for the last couple of hours), they seem to be fairly active for this time on night. Could it be becuase the lights are too strong? They are 55w over a 30g tank. Hmmm.... That does seem a bit strong, doesn't it?

babblefish1960

It is a little strong, but they get accustomed to anything, and the lighting can be diffused with aerial plants such as duckweed.

bitterman

They can also be used to simulate the deep water/blue look some fish prefure like Frontosa/Gibberosa. I have 1 28 Watt 10k and 1 28 watt Antinic over my 195 gallon Fresh water Mpimbwe Gibberosa Tank.

Bruce

groan

bruce just likes to say Mpimbwe Gibberosa

I was considering replacing my shop light bulbs over my fry tanks to 1 10000 and one actinic.

BigDaddy

My medium light 75 has 2 6500K bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs.  I leave the actinics on 24/7.  No one seems to mind and it looks cool.

PoisonJello

I had 1 10,000 and 1 actnic 21watt T5's over my 65g algea was growing good, there is 2 6500 bulbs 21 watt now and algea still grows about the same. once I have the stand ready for the second 65g i will be using the actnic and the 10,000 over it. I like the color of the tank better with the actinic just wish i could find a place to buy the T5 actinics and 10,000s cheap

Litemor is the cheapest place for T5 bulbs but they only have up to the 6500

kennyman

Increasing or decreasing aspects of the spectrum can also change the growth pattern of a plant. Things like increased or decreased internodal length and flowering can be manipulated this way. I know There was some research going on with this at UOG. I helped build part of a test system for growing plants on icebreakers that was planing on taking advantage of such ideas when I was a student at Kemptville.

zima

Woooowie, quite a few exciting ideas here! I tried to leave the actinic lights overnight, and it does look cool. The angels minded the intensity for first few days, but now they seem to get accostomed. The only one that seems to still mind is the lonely  zebra danio, whom I simply can't catch. Well, he is a fruitcake in any case!

Now I want to change all my lights into whites and actinics with separate switches (kind of what BigDaddy described). Darn, why did I even ask the question?! Thanks all for replying.