Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

General Questions on a 75g

Started by DARKPHREAK, January 25, 2004, 11:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DARKPHREAK

While my tank(75g) is cycling I am trying to plan the amount of fish I can keep. So far I have 5 quater to 50 cent sized angels, 9 neon tetra and 2 dwarf gourami. From what I can see now once the angels grow the neon's will become food. What type of fish can I add more to? I like the speed of rainbows but fear they'd add stress to the angels.

I have a Marineland 350 filter, do I really need an airpump and bubblerod? The 350 puts a nice cloud of air towards the center of the tank already. Its a semi planted tank with an assortment of 3 Valisneria Torta, 3 Valisneria Sageteria and 2 Echinodorus Bleheri. Can I get by with enough light or would/should I add DIY CO2? If only light is needed, how much?

The tank has been setup for alittle more then a week now and the pH is 7.5 everything else is NIL which means that the cycle will take forever. I added carbon to the filter and wonder if I should have done that.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

James

PDP

I Don;t think adding carbon is a bad idea if anything it will build up some bacteria in the carbon bag

I may be wrong though

aidensmomma2000

I've had some pretty big angels in with some adult neons, and they're just fine  :D

DARKPHREAK

Before I even knew what a Cichlid was I bought what I have now. Do you think that I can add one cichlid to the tank without it causing too many problems? Powder blue ones have really caught my eye but I wouldnt want to have something huge.

Any thoughts

James

saltydog

Not a good idea. African cichlids are aggressive eaters & become territorial, especially the males. They also prefer high PH water & most community tanks slowly go acidic unless you add buffering agents or special rocks or substrate.

A few South American cichlids (like your angels) are a better choice. Make sure they won't grow too large though. Most will devour neons. for example.
-thankful for a tankfull-