Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water chemistry anti RO/DI

Started by babblefish1960, June 27, 2007, 04:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fender316

Quote from: Shrimpy on June 28, 2007, 03:10:08 PM
Free for bacteria testing only. If you want to check for VOC's or chemical pollutants you will have to pay

Thanks! I just found that out when I brought the well sample in yesterday.  Im wondering if its worth paying the complete analysis, might as well to get an idea.  I'll probably just check the PH to satify my curiosity and hope for the best, if it is fit for human consumption I dont see how it could kill my fish.  Its not like i'm gonna add anything to the well water to change the chmistry.... I DONT ADD ANY CHEMICALS TO MY TANKS ANYMORE (RO all the way), this is why my freshwater plants suffer so I gave up on that.  I dont even like using de-chlorinator, let alone some PH adjuster.  Might get a UV sterilizer on the incoming well water, like my friend at his cottage (lake water), might help with any issues?  (even though i dont know what they do, im clueless)

Shrimpy

Quote from: fender316 on June 30, 2007, 10:41:43 AM
Thanks! I just found that out when I brought the well sample in yesterday.  Im wondering if its worth paying the complete analysis, might as well to get an idea.  I'll probably just check the PH to satify my curiosity and hope for the best, if it is fit for human consumption I dont see how it could kill my fish.  Its not like i'm gonna add anything to the well water to change the chmistry.... I DONT ADD ANY CHEMICALS TO MY TANKS ANYMORE (RO all the way), this is why my freshwater plants suffer so I gave up on that.  I dont even like using de-chlorinator, let alone some PH adjuster.  Might get a UV sterilizer on the incoming well water, like my friend at his cottage (lake water), might help with any issues?  (even though i dont know what they do, im clueless)

I would. When we bought our house in 2000, I assumed the water test during purchase covered everything. I was wrong. 6 months later we find out the ground water here is full of tetrachloroethylene (parts degreaser/dry cleaning solution). I would never have bought it had I known that the chemicals were in the well water. We have huge carbon filters on the incoming water line in the house and that takes care of it plus we get free Culligan water and a cooler from the township. :) These carbon filters tanks are about 4 feet tall with a 10 inch diameter.

It doesn't hurt to ask how much they would charge. Asking is free. A couple of hundred bucks vs. the thousands you spend on a house is nothing.  ;)

Glouglou

The trick in UV sterilizer is to pass a flow of water under a UV lamps UV destroy living cell, lot of bacteria, spores, algae passing trough the unit (they have to be exposed to a certain amount of time) will dye.

Same with the ozone layer that protect us from the solar UV. No ozone, no life...

The only thing you have to be aware is that UV will oxydize metals like iron, copper and traces will be less available to the plants.

You probably will need to dose more trace to compensate and you wiil have a build up of oxidized trace...

I Hear that you not supposed to used cooper treatments when a sterilizer is functionning because it precipitate and become a hazard for the animals.