Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cut plexi glass?

Started by washefuzzy, June 18, 2007, 09:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

washefuzzy

I was wonder what would be the best tool for cutting plexi glass without breaking it! Does it take a special drill to drill into it?

dan2x38

I drill it by hand... I use a drill bit between my fingers drill a hole and increase the size by using progressivly larger bits... can also make a small hole and use a rat-tail file... also have it drilled at Canus Plastics on Bank/Lisger...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

washefuzzy

Thanks Dan, what about cutting it? :)

dan2x38

I use a hack saw blade with a lot of teeth per inch... it makes a finer cut... if the piece is to long for the saw I use just the blade with tape wraped on the end and cut very slowly... it works but if you do it inside the dust can get everywhere if your not careful... good luck...
Voltaire:

AdamR

I used a normal wood hole cutting drill to cut a hole, water was needed for cooling.

I used my table saw to cut a few flat pieces although I should have used a blade with more teeth but I was too cheap to buy one.

I was able to build a 2 gallon tank that held water.

Please remember water and electricity don't mix!

AdamR

dan2x38

thanks for the tip... so taking the radio in the pool is a no-no? LOL if you go to quickly with a drill you will start to melt it so with a drill make sure you do cool it... but beware... LOL
Voltaire:

fischkopp

you can cut it pretty much the same way as you would cut glass: scratch it straight and break it over an edge (table will do)

as i did it i scratched both sides with a cutting knife - it is not as ideal as it breaks easily and might injure you, so the best is to find a knife with a very short, stable and sharp blade. scratch it along a metal ruler.

when you break it you will align the scratched notch with the table edge and fix the side on the table with a solid/heavy wood block or so, also aligned with the notch. This helps to force the energy to the notch and avoids some bouncing

now you can break it carefully

good luck!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

washefuzzy

Thanks for the great ideas and I promise not to use any electrically tools over water. :D

dan2x38

Quote from: fischkopp on June 18, 2007, 11:08:07 PM
you can cut it pretty much the same way as you would cut glass: scratch it straight and break it over an edge (table will do)

as i did it i scratched both sides with a cutting knife - it is not as ideal as it breaks easily and might injure you, so the best is to find a knife with a very short, stable and sharp blade. scratch it along a metal ruler.

when you break it you will align the scratched notch with the table edge and fix the side on the table with a solid/heavy wood block or so, also aligned with the notch. This helps to force the energy to the notch and avoids some bouncing

now you can break it carefully

good luck!

never thought of that... good idea... now the holes would be tricky snapping out... LOL will have to test that idea... good one faster then sawing it... a longer piece would be tough might have to clamp it down with a piece of wood on top use a few 'C' clamps...
Voltaire: