Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tank insulation

Started by Chinaman, July 11, 2007, 03:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chinaman

Did anyone ever try or would it work to spray a layer of insulation foam
under the bottom of a tank?

My discus tank is in the basement for the past 2 winters and I
thought that by insulating the bottom and the other three sides
with foam would maintain a more stable temperature regime and putting
less demand on the heaters (I have two heaters in the tank). My basement
is semi-insulated

Or are there better alternatives?

Your comments, please.

Thanks,

Sam

babblefish1960

Extruded foam is a better idea as far as the tank is concerned, it is removable and clean. Additionally, it can be used as a tank support as well, whereas sprayed foam would need to be injected into the existing supports.  Insulating a tank in a cold room is a great idea, I just think that you would find the pink or blue styrofoam SM to be a much cleaner solution.

dpatte

despite differences of opinions on other chats, i agree with babble on this one

Glouglou

Yep, I will go with extruded foam (not the cheap white one) but construction grade foam. I will probably find some kind of removable, non drying caulking stuff, only if the foam sag somehow but it probably not, with a good quality foam of one inch or more. For the edge I probably use some kind of double side tape to stick it on..

And what a great idea, people put wire heater and all kind of contraption to keep their substrat warm. I will probably do that on my next big tank...

dan2x38

On 1 tank I got syrofoam under it. I had some dense foam from packaging it fit right between the frame just had to cut the length. I have no prove it works but it is my most stable tank.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Glouglou

I think it's almost mainstream that higher temperature in the substrat are beneficial in planted aquaria, never try, If I recollect the causes is :

1. The same temperature in the water and in the bed, just as in natural waters.
2. plants notoriously suffer from "cold feet"
2. Bed water currents which prevail in natural waters are copied; nutrients are fed to the roots, the materials discharged by the roots are carried away.
3. A stable redox potential in the bed. The bed is prevented from turning black and an optimum stock of iron is supplied to the plants, as in tropical waters