Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Live PH meters versus regular testing

Started by Kats, September 12, 2007, 05:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kats

Have any of you had experience with the Live PH meters?  Any good?  There are some that say they last between 4 to 6 weeks and I saw one that said it was good for 1 year....   ???

Should we even invest into those or should we just do it the regular way?

charlie

Kats , if you wan to have a continuous check on your Ph forget the live ph, check out the link below, this will save you in the long run & the seller is a sponsor & local ( in your neck of the woods), it is a good tool to have.I have a couple of them & they work great.

http://www.aqua-digital.com/ProductDetails.asp?SubCatagoryID=383&ProductID=1125
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=18840.0
Regards

MikeM

I've tried a couple of the hang-in-tank coloured disc pH meters, and haven't been really impressed by any of them.  I found the Mardel one (Live pH) didn't last very long, less than two months, way less than the packaging said it should.  By the 8th week it was very washed out and reading 6.8 when I knew from a real test kit the tank's pH was 7.6.  The Seachem one is a bit better, the colour code is easier to read and it lasts longer, but still isn't as accurate as a regular test kit.  The regular kit takes me only a few seconds, I only do a pH test a couple of times a week, or if I'm suspicious about something, and I get an instant result I can trust.

As Charlie said, the electronic pH meters are super-accurate, though probes do wear out and the units require re-calibration from time to time.  I've been very tempted by the Aqua-Digital ones, they look like a great deal if you have lots of tanks or don't like fiddling with reagents that stain everything.

charlie

Quote from: MikeM on September 12, 2007, 06:05:27 PM

As Charlie said, the electronic pH meters are super-accurate, though probes do wear out and the units require re-calibration from time to time.  I've been very tempted by the Aqua-Digital ones, they look like a great deal if you have lots of tanks or don't like fiddling with reagents that stain everything.
I`ll add that the replacement probe is 19.99 & they last from 1 year to ? , as to recalibrating them it is a piece of cake may need recalibrating 3-4 times per year.
Regards

The Pond Boy

Hi,

The best digital meters are made by Trans Instruments http://www.transinstruments.com You can order them local.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

KLKelly

The hang on the glass ones suck.  I love the seachem ammonia alert cards though - mines six months old and still ticking (tested over a bottle of ammonia).

I would keep an eye on your kh along with your ph.  If kh is low 3 or less (no idea what the other measurement is - I just measure number of drops) you will probably have to buffer it to keep it from crashing.  That is if it isn't going to be a tank you do a large water changes on and of course after your tank is settled and you don't have ammonia blips. I have crushed coral in the backs of my filter in my city water tanks.  I have to rough it up every once in a while.  If you need some let me know - I have a bag of it.

dan2x38

Yes KLKelly has a good point there about the KH. The KH will help your pH level from swinging. If your pH fluctuates often it can cause your fish pH shock. That is usually if it swings more than 0.2 in a day and often. My tap water is 2.0-2.5 KH so I like KLKelly use something to bump it up. I add some crushed sea shells in my plant filter that circulates with my planted tank. CO2 injection lowers pH & KH... with the sea shell buffering my KH is 3.0-3.5...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Kats

Cool!  I like those digital meters....  I think I'll put it on my Xmas list!!!!

I bought the full test kit for now, it should keep me busy for a while.

Thanks for your advice!

dan2x38

Not necessary but I use a log for my testing, WCs, filter maintenance, behaviors (not mine), etc. I do not log everything anymore but still do some...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."