Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

heater haywire

Started by Eric, June 29, 2007, 11:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

For the first time I had a heater go haywire.  The tank was up to 97 from the usual 82 or so.  I have had some stop working but never this crazed attempt to boil my fish.

I assume the heater is garbage now -- I can't see how I could repair/trust it again.  Just curious if this has happened to others.  I am a wee bit frustrated -- bought new just two years ago.

Anyway, that's my tale.   

dan2x38

I had an all-glass go the other way... cranked it up could not get heat above 72... I bought an expensive one to replace and a cheaper as a spare for backup...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

bettabreeder

I had the exact same thing happen to me as it did to dan2x38. my heater would not work!?!

PoisonJello

depending on what brand name you have it might have a lifetime warranty

I had one that did that same thing but i noticed it before it got to hot in the tank

Jeff M

I know of a few people who have had heaters malfuction, and they usually stick on and cook the tank.  If possible it is better to use two smaller heaters instead of one big heater so that if one sticks you have a better chance of catching it before you tank cooks. 

Jeff :)

mseguin

Also go with a heater that has electronic control instead of a bi metal switch, much harder for them to stick on. Fluval Tronics have electronic control, and I believe the Jager's do too.

Alchemist

This worries me....so what is a good heater to get without breaking the bank? I have two Elites right now and no problems so far.

KLKelly

I have zero luck with heaters.  I posted a number of months ago that I had three allglass heaters break one way or another.   I won't buy another one ever.

I replaced them with jagers and one works perfectly  - the other even though its correlated I have it set to 71 to keep the tank heated to 77.

I think going with two small heaters is a great idea!

dan2x38

I pulled a bonehead move a month or so ago... was doing a WC I always turn off my power bar... for some reason I forgot when I added the water back pop goes the heater... I realized what'd I done so instantly turned off the power bar... no harm done to the fish... was luckily the heater broke off in one perfect piece no scattered glass... I replaced it with an electronic Hagen... it sets the temp. right on...

I do like the idea of 2 small ones... think putting 1 in each corner would mean better heat distribution?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."