Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Where to find pure ammonia for cycling?

Started by Ormarr, June 26, 2007, 08:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melody

Chemistry isn't my strong point, but I can't deny the logic there.  I've fed established filters in new tanks for longer than I care to admit, and I never see so much as a fluctuation, let alone a spike.  I still monitor the parameters just in case, but so far, so good.  Its much quicker really, especially when you consider that your environment still has to establish the heterotrophic bacteria once the fish are added after an ammonia-only cycle.

I was forced to add an over-loaded 33G tank to a new 90G tank once.  I used two established filter pads, dumped the fish in, and held my breath whilst using up the majority of a test kit.  I was convinced that I'd see at least a minor spike and I wanted to be ready to do waterchanges.  Never saw any fluctuations at all.  I got nervous and bought test strips in case my kit was wrong.   ::)  Granted, I fed very little to keep the load as light as possible... I think it was just a bit of food every three days.

I wouldn't exactly recommend that extreme, but it intrigued me enough to research why it worked so well.  I understand that its not always possible to use established media, but when you can I'd highly recommend it.  When you can't, add the fish VERY slowly.

I learn something from most threads on cycling, so I'm always happy to see the topic discussed.  Its quite an intricate process that is really never done.  'Balanced' is probably a better word than 'cycled', although I use the latter too. :)

BigDaddy

Quote from: Melody on July 01, 2007, 01:38:34 AM
Your most beneficial bacteria is heterotrophic bacteria, which breaks down solid waste.  Using ammonia only doesn't invite this bacteria, but it is present on established filters.  Since it feeds on waste, waste is what it needs to thrive and populate your tank.  Therefore, the best thing to use to cycle a tank, is feces.  The fish can be in the tank for the cycle to supply that, or you can simply bring it in from a tank containing fish.  A few handfulls of mucky gravel from an established tank would suffice.  Failing that, I'd go with something more tangible than ammonia, such as a bit of seafood.

This theory is why people feel that long term stability is best obtained using fish and/or an established filter, rather than using ammonia only.  With ammonia-only cycles, you still have to add the fish very slowly to allow for the heterotrophic bacteria to establish.

It makes perfect sense to me that in order to establish the right kind of bacteria, you need to have all of the components present that you will have when the fish are in the tank.  Having said all that, not everyone agrees with it.   :-\

My experience says otherwise.  The only tank I ever did a fishless cycle on was a 5 gallon tank in my office.  I cycled it using ammonia, and then added 6 glowlight tetras and 4 amano shrimp.  I consider that a fairly heavy bioload for a tank that small.  I didn't loose a single fish or shrimp, and all my testing for a 3 week period afterwards showed no measurable ammonia or nitrite.

Heterotrophic bacteria "feed" on organic waste.  Autotrophs feed on the inorganics (ammonia and nitrite).  Given that heterotrophic bacteria require as little as 15 minutes to double in population and autotrophic bacteria take anywhere from 1/2 a day to a day to reproduce, it only makes sense that a fishless cycle focuses on establishing a healthy colony of autotrophic bacteria since it can take weeks to develop a large colony.

Yes hetreotrohps are important, as they convert proteins into ammonia and break down organic matter in the tank.  But given their quick ability to reproduce, it really isn't a priority for the hobbyist to think about establishing those colonies manually, they do it very efficiently on their own  :).

BigDaddy

After some debate with a co-hobbyist, a few more points to add

Fishless cycling is usually only done by beginners.  Those beginners usually have very small tanks to start off with (relatively speaking) and typically do not introduce exceptionally heavy bioloads (like a dozen full-sized goldfish in a 120 gallon tank).  So, for the beginner aquarist just getting their feet wet, a fishless cycle is a safe and time-tested method of providing a healthy environment to introduce fish to.

That being said, most of us use established media either from our own tanks or if starting a new tank, from a friends tank.  Having seeded media with autotrophic and hetrotropic bacteria is definately major improvement over using "sterile" methods like fishless cycling.

Melody

Exactly.  A seeded filter has every bacteria you need and then some - that can't help but give you a head start towards a stable environment if you feed it.  Feces will feed both types of bacteria in different ways.

I have no problem with fishless/artificial cycling, I just find it inefficient when my eye is on the final goal - a balanced tank.  If the bacteria keeps up, all is well, but there's more room for error there than there would be if you had everything you need in the first place.

Both methods work out eventually and that's the main thing. :)