Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help - Strange Disease....Cammallanus??

Started by rrw1v, July 26, 2007, 06:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrw1v

Hello,

I have a 21 gallon fresh water planted tank. It includes: 2 Bolivian Rams, 2 Glass Catfish, 2 Marble Hatch, 2 Florida Flag Fish, 3 Khulie Loatches, 4 Glass Bloodfin Tetra's, 4 Prestella Tetra's, 1 Bushynose Pleco, 1 Albino Cory, 1 Dwarf Frog and 1 Freshwater Clam.

I noticed about 2 weeks ago the Ram's had something protruding from their vent (anus). On one of them this was 3 or 4 red strands. On the other, the vent is totally bunged up and is very swollen and red.

Can someone please help me find out what this is? I don't know if it is Cammallanus (SP?) or something else. I am new to the hobby (1.5 years with a tank, but only 5 months of serious care).

I though this could be some sort of parasite and took out the carbon 7 days ago and started a Prazi-Pro treatment. Just made my second dose yesterday......I don't see any improvement in the Ram's and one of them (swollen vent) looks like it is going to die any day now. I don't think it is eating anything.

I normally feed a combo of Nutrafin products. Do a 20% water change every week. Watch the iron, nitrate and nitrite levels. The tank is quite clean.....

If anybody has any idea on what this might be please drop me a line.

Thanks

Rennie

KLKelly

It sounds like it.  I think the recommended treatment that most people use is levamisole.  I am not sure how this will affect the wide range of fish you have.

rrw1v

Has anybody had any experience with this drug? Where can you get it in Ottawa and how is it administered?

The person I deal with at my local fish store says that cammallanus is not common in small fish - Can these Bolivian Rams get it?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to see this Bolivian Ram die.

Thanks

Rennie

KLKelly

The first time I heard about it was via this post on the Goldfish and Aquarium Board.  Someones Celebes rainbows - a small very small species had it.  I doubt it was from locally grown and bred fish.

Here is the post:  http://thegab.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5799&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15.  Here is the link to the disease section.  You can barely make out the red worm.  http://thegab.org/Articles/DiagnosisChart.html#Camallanus.  She had tried a couple different meds before Levimasole - the three remaining celebes survived and are still alive.

You will find a lot of information in the forum history at loaches.com.  Some of the moderators are in Canada.  I think they sometimes use an acronym like HCL for the meds.

rrw1v

Thanks for the comments.

Anybody know where i can get levamisole in Ottawa?

I have called around, but nobody seams to have it.

Tks

KLKelly

What about M&R Feed in arnprior - on loaches online they say that its a cow/sheep dewormer - I would think a place like that might sell it.  I'm surprised no one here has had use it before.

zapisto

Quote from: rrw1v on July 27, 2007, 10:02:56 AM
Thanks for the comments.

Anybody know where i can get levamisole in Ottawa?

I have called around, but nobody seams to have it.

Tks

you will hardly found that in canada.
i will post an excellent address for that off line PM

Melody

I have a friend who sells it and he ships.  If you can't find some locally, send me a PM and I'll give you his email addie.  It works wonders!