Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brown Algae

Started by DerekPruder, July 02, 2007, 05:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerekPruder

Hello I have a tank thats been running for about 2 months and there is brown algae on the glass and on the sand in the bottom of the tank.  How can i get rid of the algae

Thanks

kennyman

Hi Dereck, Welcome to Ovas  :)

I am sure you will get plenty of great advice on various ways to make that brown stuff go away. In the meantime you may want to do a forum search on Diatoms. That is likely what you have in a new tank.

You might also want to provide us with some information such as the size of tank and what livestock you have so that people can make suggestions more appropriate for your specific tank setup.

BigDaddy

Diatoms are very common in a new tank.  Plecos and otos will make quick work of it... but if you just do your best to clean it away, eventually it will disappear.

plecoL83

Flag fish will also eat it too but I would need to know the size of your tank

dan2x38

Flag Fish are death on most any algae... I got 3 of them but they do like to swim... be warned they will eat tender plants and if they pull at hair algae for instance on a plant they pull hard might hurt your leaves they have quite big mouths with thick lips... I love them though great fish to watch and very bold...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

DerekPruder

I have a 75 gallon tank with a 2 inch tiger oscar and 2 2 inch Jack D.  and today i went out and bought a 2inch pleco..