Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New Tank Syndrome

Started by neon, July 09, 2007, 03:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neon

I have cloudy water due to nts.  I've been doing water changes, added something called clarify (which made it worse).  It said it would clear in a couple of hours but overnight was no better.  Did another water change and has improved a bit.  Should I just leave it now to clear up on its own or keep doing water changes.  The tank been running for about 3 weeks with a new filter and fish from my previous tank in it.  I had an nitrate spike about a week ago and changed water, nitrates and amonnia have been very low since.  I'm just getting tired of the fogginess of the water.

darkdep

Just let it be.  The cloudiness is a bacterial bloom that will settle itself out.

Nerine

agreed, don't fuss too much and let it settle on it's own!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

beowulf

Easiest thing to do is get some carbon in a nylon and let it soak in the tank.  Cleans it up pretty fast.

babblefish1960

As has been mentioned, it is just a bacterial bloom, it is on its way to balancing itself out, so leave it be and enjoy the moment to be helpless, and don't use carbon to do anything with it, as it won't do anything good.

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on July 09, 2007, 04:02:37 PM
As has been mentioned, it is just a bacterial bloom, it is on its way to balancing itself out, so leave it be and enjoy the moment to be helpless, and don't use carbon to do anything with it, as it won't do anything good.

My brother Mike got that advise from BA Montreal and he told me it worked.... ???

babblefish1960

Having the water clear in a tank and having the tank balanced can be mutually exclusive. Perhaps mtlmikes reasons were different than the bacterial bloom of a new tank. In this case here, I would suggest letting nature take its course so that the tank can achieve a sense of balance. Again with the patience, and clean looking water is not necessarily clean water. By the same token, cloudy water is not necessarily dirty water. ;)