Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Treating a case of ich

Started by bassetluv, July 07, 2007, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassetluv

I believe my 38-g aquarium has a case of ich (noticed the white spots on the head and fins of my fish two days ago - and this morning many of them have dropped off). I also noticed my pleco has cloudy eyes (at least I think both are cloudy...it was hard to see the other side). Would ich cause this as well, or would it be something else? I'm going to be doing a partial water change, and then will be heading out to the Big Al's/PetSmart area to pick up some medication. Any recommendations on what one would be best?

Crumpet

How long has the tank been running? 

Did you add any new additions to the tank recently? If so, were they quarantined first?  What kind of fish are they and how many fish were there in the tank?  How often and how much water do you remove?

Oftentimes ich, and cloudy eyes are a sign that there may be a problem with the water conditions.  If you don't have test kits, I recommend either getting your local fish store to test a sample of your water, or better yet buying your own set of test kits.  You'll want to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and the Ph.

Before going right to the meds, if there is a water quality problem, you will want to see to that first.  If there are elevated levels of ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, or all three, you will want to do small frequent water changes.  Also, dosing with "Prime" will help.

If there isn't anything going on with the water parameters, my first line of defence against ich is aquarium salt.  The container will tell you how much per gallon (I believe it is one rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons?)  Aquarium salt will also help the fish deal with elevated levels of nitrIte if there are any.

Hope this helps

bassetluv

Well, being quite new to keeping fish, it turns out I have been really not going about it very well. The tank itself has been up and running for a few weeks now. I had a 29-gal. running before this one - with the same fish in it; that one had been running for almost a year  - and it sprang a leak, so I fixed it and a few weeks later...another leak. I finally went and bought this one to replace it, and did a transfer of the fish and water. When I transferred them I wound up doing about a 50% water change as I had only saved about 50% of the water from the old tank, and after that hadn't really done any water changes. Right now the tank is heavily stocked, as I have roughly 15 platys, 5 cory cats, 1 gold gourami and 3 common plecos (I'm guessing one is around 9", the other around 8", and the 3rd around 4"). While I have been planning to rehome all three plecos with the LFS, I didn't realize until today that they spiked the ammonia levels so much. (I had always thought that the recommendations of them not being in smaller tanks had more to do with them being cramped...now I know they add enormous amounts of waste to the water.  :-[) But of course now I won't take them to the LFS until I'm sure they are healthy enough to go. And yes, there was one new fish added to the tank about a week ago (a small betta).

I just did a water check and if I did it right, the water quality is pretty bad...ammonia is at 8.0, nitrite at 1.0, nitrate 5.0, and pH around 6.0 and 7.0 (I found it hard to tell on that one). I just did a water change of roughly 30% on the aquarium; should I change that amount daily for the next while, or should the daily amount be smaller? I don't have Prime (haven't heard of that product; what does it do?) but can pick some up in the morning. Also, will adding salt be safe for the cory cats and the plecos?

Your post has helped a great deal, Crumpet, thank you. I hope my fish make it through all of my blunders...!

****Edit: I just googled Prime and I see what it is..."a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia from tap water, and detoxifies nitrite and nitrate". I'll be investing in a bottle in the morning...

babblefish1960

Quote from: bassetluv on July 07, 2007, 05:48:04 PM
****Edit: I just googled Prime and I see what it is..."a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia from tap water, and detoxifies nitrite and nitrate". I'll be investing in a bottle in the morning...
Excellent decision, it is worth every penny and mandatory where chloramines are concerned, chloram-x and aquasafe also work, but seachem prime is my preferred choice.

Keep an eye on the nitrItes, you really want that at a reading of zero, as it is a killer, ammonia too is very bad, nitrAtes should be low, but never zero, water changes, patience, and no more fish until it has balanced are the order for the day for a while. Good luck.

bassetluv

Quote from: babblefish1960 on July 07, 2007, 06:04:25 PM
Excellent decision, it is worth every penny and mandatory where chloramines are concerned, chloram-x and aquasafe also work, but seachem prime is my preferred choice.

Keep an eye on the nitrItes, you really want that at a reading of zero, as it is a killer, ammonia too is very bad, nitrAtes should be low, but never zero, water changes, patience, and no more fish until it has balanced are the order for the day for a while. Good luck.

Thanks babblefish, I will be doing daily water changes for the next while and testing the water as well. I was adding water conditioner with changes in the past, but I was using Top Fin, which says it removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. Prime does sound like a better choice, so I'll give it a go.

My fish will certainly thank you guys for your help...  :)

bassetluv

[[Oh yes, forgot to add....definitely no more fish! (That must be a common thing people who are inexperienced do.) I want to rehome the plecos - something I was putting off and really shouldn't have - as well as rehome a few of the platys.]]

babblefish1960

I wasn't aware that Topfin made a dechloraminator, I'm sure it works too, but Seachem prime is still a very good choice.

Starting out is fraught with many errors that compound with time, and it is good you are here to share your issues in this regard, not so that we can pick on you of course, rather, that we can share what we know with the aim to be more helpful in making this a long lasting and fully satisfying hobby so you don't throw your hands up in the air and the fish out the door.

Patience grasshopper! :)

bettabreeder

what i have found that really helps my fish when the are sick is melafix. you can get it at any superpet store. and the good news is it is on sale because petsmart bought them out.

KLKelly

You've found a great site for advice. Welcome to Ovas.

I wouldn't recommend adding any additives to the water - except where salt was recommended above or specific ich treatment.  I think because you have pleco's the dosing amount may be different - the gang can help you with that.  Keeping the water happy will obviously be a big help.

Man do pleco's ever get big!

Crumpet

Quote from: bettabreeder on July 07, 2007, 08:11:27 PM
what i have found that really helps my fish when the are sick is melafix. you can get it at any superpet store. and the good news is it is on sale because petsmart bought them out.

Melafix treats open wounds and fin tears, it is is not going to help in this case. In fact it will do more harm than good -- even though it is a natural product, it is still a medication, which is stressful on fish.  It is never good to treat something willy nilly without being sure that the medication you are adding will indeed solve the problem. So I will echo KLKelly's advice not to add additives aside from the salt, Prime, and if it doesn't clear up with improved water conditions, an ich treatment.

mseguin

My personal recommendation for ick is AquariSol, it doesnt work as fast as some but also rarely harms more delicate fish.