Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

catfish question

Started by featherfin, July 22, 2007, 08:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

featherfin

i've had a juvenile featherfin catfish for about six months now and i've noticed that recently he's taken to floating/hovering upside down in an open area of the tank for about two minutes at a time before flipping over and swimming away normally. i'm trying to figure out if this is just natural behavior or some sort of bouyency disorder.

please let me know so i can help it if it does have a problem.

thank you!

beowulf

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=121

I am not sure if it is normal but if this is the fish you have, some of the pics they have show them upside down...

mseguin

Are yuo sure its a featherfin and not an upside down catfish? Even if its a eupterus, they're in the same family and so some upside down behaviour is probably not unseen.

featherfin

no i'm quite sure it's a featherfin. i'm surprised because it's so recent. it acted fine until now, although i did see it upside down upon occasion in it's cave.  i did recently redecorate the tank, there are now fewer hiding places, could that be the problem? should i add more caves? :-\