Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Drilled tank?

Started by littlelil, July 23, 2007, 11:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlelil

Is the purpose of a drilled tank for wires and filter tubes and stuff? Is it so that you can fit a hood on top without having to cut holes for the wires?

Do people ever drill holes at the bottom (side-bottom or bottom-bottom) for easier water changes? Or would the stress around the hole be too much?

I was thinking of doing that for one of my tanks. How would one plug that drilled hole at the bottom, if possible? How do you reinforce drilled holes (either at the top or the bottom)?

Can it be done on glass or acrylic?

Lillian

Faerin

Drilling tanks is generally done to install plumbing for a sump or a closed loop. Both glass (non-tempered) and acrylic can be drilled. There's no need to reinforce the holes, just try to keep them at least an inch or two away from the edges.

Drilling a hole for water changes would work fine, you would just need to attach a ball or gate valve to the bulkhead to control the flow (I'd suggest not putting it much lower than the amount of water you want to drain from the tank) ... though I'm not sure it would be any less effort than just using a siphon.

porcupinepuffer

drilling is done for waterflow reasons. not for routing wires. I wouldn't suggest trying to drill the bottom glass. Almost all glass aquariums are tempered on the bottom (for extra strength). Tempered glass cannot be drilled; It will just shatter to pieces.

sniggir

snd a pm to bitterman as he has his tanks drill and all plumed in for easy water changes.... altho I think he is just secretly getting ready to convert to the dark side.....mahmahMAHMAH....sry got a little out of control I am better now.. but ask him I am sure he could give you some pointers
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!