Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Just Bought

Started by fyrebull, July 24, 2007, 08:15:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrebull

Hi all, it has been a long time sense I wrote anything here outside of my intro which I said, I would have lots of dumb questions :D...So here they start after months and months of looking and procrastinating I have finally made my purchase, now I need to fill it which I will be going through the articles for advice. but first I need to know if I made a good purchase. Does this sound like I did alright? 48HX16WX21H Tank with Black 2 door 2 Shelf wooden stand 1 piece canopy 150w Heater 403 Fluval pump/filter 100lbs gravel 8yrs old $300. I would like your thoughts before I set-up.

Thanks

BigDaddy

A 70 gallon with stand canopy heater and filter for $300?  Sounds like a pretty decent buy to me.

Laura

It's a really nice sized tank - congrats!
The only suggestions I would have is perhaps an additional heater, especially if it will be higher temp fish you are keeping.  Also, depending on the existing lighting it may limit your choice of live plants if that's a consideration.
So what are your plans? 
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

fyrebull

Plans?...Hmm.....I am looking to fill it with water first to make sure I did not buy a colender... ;) Kidding, I will more than likely go with the more realistic "fake" plants over real, right now, I am also looking to do some intresting rock and wood formations, also I like the bubble walls and moonlights, so I want to get the tank setup and running the way I like before I intro the fish, If I am happy with my process I will post some pics, Than I will take all the  suggestions you have for the stocking, keep the advice coming it is more than welcome.

babblefish1960

Another good place to look into right about now, is what sort of fish do you think you like, as you look around, you may notice that there are scads of different fish with all manner of personalities and traits, and of course, a myriad number of conditions for keeping them. It would be a good idea to have a look and see what strikes your fancy and see if it fits into your new colander, I mean aquarium. :)

beowulf

I would worry more about the fish you like then the decor.  The reason I say this is that fish needs can vary greatly and it is better to get the fish you really wants and then set up the tank to their needs then set up then tank and realize after that the fish you want need different parameters.

Brine

Always research the fish....how big do they get? Some beautiful little fish get HUGE when full grown. If you are considering a community tank ( as opposed to a single species tank), which species co-exist well? Also with a community tank, which level do each species swim at? You don't want all the fish at the top of the tank and none in the middle or at the bottom. And of course there are the water parameters. Can they all accept the same range of PH, Temp, etc? When you get a better idea of what you might like to keep. POST QUESTIONS!! Someone here has had those fish and knows what can go wrong (or right). Finally, before you purchase the fish, or rocks or wood, ask here if anyone has some for sale...it is often MUCH cheaper than buying from the LFS (local fish store). Come out to the monthly meeting where there is an auction where you can get some really nice stuff for a really good price. Good luck!!

fyrebull

Thanks for all the advice, fish first, now you see why I like the input....I will start researching the "swimmy things"... :D

PoisonJello

I think i would setup the tank first before you worry about fish because decor can be changed before during and after you decided on the fish but you want the tank to be cycled before you get fish...also get your water tested to see what kind of parameters you have that might help you decide what type of fish you should consider, sure you can use chemicals to change your water parameters but its much easier to just add water and declorinator at water change time

sniggir

I am bias on the fish part GO TANGAYNIKIAN!!!!!! tons of cool fish with great personalities... as mentioned you should do a fishless cycle before adding your new comanions...
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

fyrebull

Quote from: sniggir on July 26, 2007, 09:50:51 AM
I am bias on the fish part GO TANGAYNIKIAN!!!!!! tons of cool fish with great personalities... as mentioned you should do a fishless cycle before adding your new comanions...

Thanks I was looking at the cycling steps the other day, I will check your fish suggestion to see what I think, I will let you know.

fyrebull

After some research...no luck...I give up want is Tangaynikian?

BigDaddy

Tanganyikans are African Cichlids from Lake Tanganyika

babblefish1960

Tanganyika is a specific lake of the Rift Lakes in Africa, and the fish referred to were specifically African cichlids. African cichlids from lake Tanganyika are amongst the most interesting of the African cichlids as they fall into the category of fish with loads of personality. They come in quite a few sizes too, from the tiny shell dwellers to the nasty frontosas, and some larger as well, but even though they are as ugly as sin, they do have personality. ;)

Nerine

Lake Victoria has very nice fish :D
Good luck!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

fyrebull

excellent suggestion on the fish(Tangaynikian) their habitat and style look just like what I am looking for...now I just have to get started.