Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Brackish tank advice

Started by fishycanuck, August 02, 2007, 11:03:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishycanuck

Hello
My 10G is almost empty. I am thinking of moving out the last few danios and neon tetras, and setting up a molly tank. I have always liked mollies, but had dreadful luck with them. I understand this is related to their differing water needs.
I could use advice on how to establish and maintain such a tank.
As well, can I keep my java moss in this tank? Is brackish water OK for my dwarf aquatic frog?

artw

Ohforcryininthesink.
You really are a silly git.
When I explain brackish tanks to customers, I generally recommend half way between fresh and salt water, like 0.012 specific gravity.  But due to the nature of brackish water in the real world it doesnt really matter what it is, it can be anywhere between 0 and 0.024 (seawater) depending on where you are in the estuary.

Come on by the store, we have some lovely scats, maybe some monos, and some neat other brackish type things.

fishycanuck

From one git to another, it was LFS staff who told me I would have to add salt to the tank in order for mollies to survive. As usual, I believe everything I am told.
When do you work at the store, lowbaler?

beowulf

If you take a trip to Montreal in the near future, Nature pet center has 3 tanks full of brakish type things.

artw

fishycanuck

By "scats", I hope you don't mean poop.

beowulf

Quote from: fishycanuck on August 02, 2007, 12:42:48 PM
By "scats", I hope you don't mean poop.

No an interesting brackish fish but if I remember will can be agressive so you would have to watch what else you added to the tank.

artw

kennyman

A brackish tank is pretty simple to keep. I tried to make it some kind of science project when I first started keeping one, but I wasn't long in realizing that they are systems of ever changing parameters and it would take quite a mistake to really upset one.

artw

Yep thats the scat I was referring to, the ones in our store have a nice orange blaze on the top.
and the salinity ranges from .010 to .013 in our tanks.