Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Toronto Zoo Malawi Tank

Started by bitterman, August 29, 2007, 07:54:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

We took out son to the Toronto zoo this summer and here was the Malawi tank.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kennyman

Quite a place eh Bruce. I tried to get my picture taken in front of that tank but there was a tourbuss full of camera wielding kids that I could/would not wait for. I cant wait to see the new Great Barrier Reef Tank. I think it is supposed to be 22 feet wide! Last time I was there they had most of the aquatic section shut down as they are redeveloping that aspect of the zoo.

I have been there half a dozen times in the past 10 years and it has changed to a bit more tourist friendly but it is still a great place to spend a weekend. Not the kind of place you want to see in a few hours. I can spend an hour just watching the Hyenas sleep!  :P

RedFish

That is fabulous.   We were supposed to go last year and didn't, but I am going to make sure that we go next year.   Wonderful photo, just makes me want to visit even more.

Mettle

Wow. That is some tank!  :o

I've never been to the Toronto zoo.  :'(   Definitely will have to make my way down there some time within the next year or so.

Is it open during winter months? Or only summer?

Fishnut

I haven't been to the zoo since I was 8...yeah, that was a looooooong time ago.  It looks like it's a fun place!

Adam

Looks great.  They have quite a carnivore/herbivore mix in there.  I wonder what they are feeding them?  The diet is the only thing stopping me from adding haps to my mbuna.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

artw

that's an swesome looking display.. that just goes to show you that with Malawis,  a larger tank is better... you can put in more fish and that reduces aggression.

hamstercaster

Quote from: Adam on August 30, 2007, 01:19:29 AM
Looks great.  They have quite a carnivore/herbivore mix in there.  I wonder what they are feeding them?  The diet is the only thing stopping me from adding haps to my mbuna.

Why not mix??  I have herbivores, carnivores and omnivores in my tank and have had no problems whatsoever.  I feed them NLS, flakes and Bloodworms and every single fish eats anything I feed them. You should see the herbivores feeding on bloodworms... man my Red Empress is all over the place eating up as many worms as he can and using his size to his advantage too lol.  Many animals, including fish, are opportunistic feeders and will quite often eat anything they can.. or find.