Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Planning a New Tank

Started by RossW, July 30, 2007, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

Quote from: sniggir on July 30, 2007, 12:46:44 PM
I would go for it if you are going AF... I love flage stone that is a great price

This is the Freshwater Forum... but yes I am going African.

sniggir

I keep both FW and SW I have a 160 gal tangaynikan tank in the basement
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

sniggir

what type of AF cichlids you planning on keeping?
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

RossW

I am going to start with some yellow labs and take it from there.

Thoughts?

sniggir

I am bias as I really love tang's as apposed to malawi's... but Lab's Accii, afras oooo accual if you hace a decent size tank get some fryier they are gorgous

RossW

I did not realize that the Tang's were that much smaller on average than Malawi.  I was drawn to the Malawi by their colours.

You have me reconsidering my decision...

sniggir

The size depends on what you want there are very attractive tang's... but for the most part Malawi's are more colorful how big of a tank are putting together. cause I can better recomend what fish then

groan

go for a single species tank and bu my 10 birchardi!

lol,
if you do decide on malawi let me know. i have some fry from a gorgeous peacock, the Lemon Jake.

babblefish1960

Tanganyikans come in all sorts of sizes, and though malawi has some colourful species, they don't seem to have the personality of tanganyikans, and of course, you know you are a very serious fish person when you fall in love with the ugly brown fish,

dan2x38

Quote from: RossW on July 30, 2007, 12:48:27 PM
This is the Freshwater Forum... but yes I am going African.

Totally dumb about African Cichlids try this link gives some good advice. Good Luck Ross... :)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

groan

Quote from: babblefish1960 on July 30, 2007, 09:07:33 PM
and of course, you know you are a very serious fish person when you fall in love with the ugly brown fish,

i love ugly brown fish!

darkdep

I'm not sure why, but everyone seems to be going with Tanganyikans these days :)  I disagree that "Tangs have more personality".  Tangs have Different personalities than many Malawi and Victorians for sure. 

In general, Tangs have less colour than Malawi; but of course there are exceptions.  Victorians often have more colour variations than anything.  Tangs are cool in that there are a wider variety of personality types, and that you can mix a tank with these various types and have all coexist peacefully.  For example, you can have a tank with shelldwellers happily coexisting with open water and rock dwelling fish. 

In a Malawi tank, you often have to stick to a single personality type long term, or you get issues. 

However, nothing is stopping you from mixing the lakes.