Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MH 400W bulbs question

Started by gvv, August 08, 2007, 03:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gvv

Planning to get new bulb and have a question: what is a good bulb in between 12K-15K?
Saw some infor on the RC, that XM 15K are not the good choice...

Any suggestions?

Regards

Nyx

We have 2 x 250 watt 10k Ushio bulbs on our 150G. With 4 x 48" actinics, it gives us a really nice balance and all the colours in the tank pop. We swear by them  On our 45G, we only have 1 x 250 watt 20k XM. For that tank, we went with that because we don't have any actinics on it and it is a bluer spectrum. Because the colour varies from manufacturer to manufacture, this might help you decide: http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm . Although the lamp tests are done with 250 watts, it does illustrate the differences between the manufacturers. It also shows them with & without actinics. Also, Marinescape have different bulbs on several of their tanks (at least they used to) so you can see the difference of some of them in person. Sorry this isn't of more help.
9G planted Edge w/ pure strain Endler's livebearers

sniggir

you could try a pheonix 14k... personaly I like the XM 10k and then add color by using T5's on top of it
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

redbelly

I have tried the reeflux 12k and really liked the color that it provided. I have also just ordered some of the krystal star lamps to give them a try.

My fav bulb (and what I run on my 120g) would be the XM 20K though.

gvv

Hi,

Thanks for the responses! I think I will have too try XM 10K, as I have Additionl  T5 Actinics over the tank and really liked the their picture from the link provided. I would take 20K, but with additional actinics, I think it will be too blue.
As about reeflux, not sure where to order thrm from...

Regards

az

the xm 10k will do good for the corals than the 20k which is not as bright, 20k with actinics look much better though, tough call!
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

redbelly

Quote from: az on August 12, 2007, 01:54:17 AM
the xm 10k will do good for the corals than the 20k which is not as bright, 20k with actinics look much better though, tough call!
Yeah I agree
10K XM for crazy growth
20K XM for crazy color

You could get a set of reeflux on the next group order that I place if you want.