Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

And now for something completely different...(Praise for BA)

Started by darkdep, August 14, 2007, 07:45:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Everyone loves a good LFS bashing thread, so just to mix it up I thought I'd start a praise thread.

Last night I went to BA Kanata to pick up some medication for one of my cichlids that has a case of bloat.  I was secretly doubtful; I remember threads from people saying they couldn't find Metro or Clout at BA's (if I remember correctly, it was an old BA bashing thread).

To my surprise, they had both...just out of stock.  Darn. 

The fellow I was dealing with hooked me up with some food pellets with Metro in them as something to try, and called over to the other BA where they had the Metro in stock, and he had some shipped over and said I should be able to pick it up tonight.  That was really appreciated as getting over to the Innes road location is hard for me time-wise.

Then I took the obligatory walk through the fish room and saw a gorgeous fish I just had to take home...a 9" Nimbochromis venustus...and it was only $19.99!  I haven't been in there for a while, I saw quite a few good specimens, including young Venustus for about $9.00 each.  These guys have a unique pattern, not the usual bars, for Malawi and you should check them out.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share.

babblefish1960

You tricked me into thinking you were turning towards the Monty Python side of things, silly me.

That is a good story, and something that the big Al's have always done, a handy little feature.  Good luck with the fish (sick one) and the new one.

charlie

Kudos to BA Kanata, i`ve always had good expereinces there.
Regards

bitterman

I've always had good service from BA. When I got my Coralife 2x28W t5 light a bulb blew in less then a month. Since the replacment bulbs were backordered (Waited 1 month and they still did not come in) The got another light from the other storre and took the bulb out of it and gave it to me.... Yeah it took some time but it was not thre fault the Coralife were not producing the bulbs yet for the new t5 light I had bought from them.

Bruce

fischkopp

yeah, its my favorite location in town!  ;D  The guys there are great to deal with and gave me great advices in the past. Not to mention that the live stock is usually great.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Crumpet

Nimbochromis -- those are the "giraffe" patterned ones, right?  African cichlids are normally not my favourite fish, but I do really like that particular one

darkdep

Yep, the Giraffe Cichlid.  They are awesome.  I was told the big guy was cheap because he had a lip defect, but honestly, that's why I liked him.  He looks like he should be swimming around with a cigar in his mouth.

KLKelly

What was the name of the Metro - was it seachem metro or metro+ or something else?
Thanks!

Karrie

BigDaddy

Big Al's carries a product called Hole In Head Guard... they have it on the shelves almost all the time.  It is metro cut with salt.  I don't know why everyone always says metro is hard to come by... I have never had issues getting it.

Plus, another brand they carry is the Hikari Metro +.  Again, it is rarely if ever not on the shelf when I walk past.

darkdep

I will know tonight.  To be honest I didn't ask the brand.

The guy I dealt with mentioned the hole in the head stuff but I didn't realize it had metro in it.

BigDaddy

Yeah, if you go with the recommended dosages for each product, Hole In Head Guard will treat more gallons per $$$ than Metro + will.  That's not to say it is better or worse.  The manufacturers, of course, won't tell you the percentage of metro in their products, so there is no way to compare apples to apples.

That being said, I have used both of them at their recommended dosages for HLLE in rams and discus and both did the job just fine.

KLKelly

I don't think that metro mixed products are hard to find - just that you don't know how much of the drug is actually in the product.

Here is what I ordered last time:

"Metronidazole is a highly pure, crystalline metronidazole. It is the most effective form available. It is effective against a vast array of parasitic infections with little danger of overdosage."

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/cgi-bin/smpagegen.exe?U+scstore+wdqj6019fff238f2+-c+scstore.cfg+-p+MESE-08010

sniggir

Good Job CHRIS!

nice to see a thread that doesn't just bash a company... esspecialy since there are not to many choices now... with SP going out the door... I was there yesterday aswell and was talking to Andy for a little while...as I always do I say the giant that you bought was thinking of getting some of the smaller ones but didn't know if they would get along with my acei and frieri....
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Chinaman

Quote from: DarkDep on August 14, 2007, 10:03:26 AM
  He looks like he should be swimming around with a cigar in his mouth.

Clint Eastwood in the movie - For a Few Dollars More.

dsylvak

Maybe you should name the Venustus Humphrey..... after Bogart; who would always sport a cigar in his mouth in his movies.....

Have seen the Venustus at ScottMd's place.... it's beautiful. Just wish I had a bigger tank.

hope the sick fish gets better.

keith