Meeting location for the 2024/2025 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lighting help?

Started by Mettle, August 13, 2007, 01:17:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mettle

I need a solution for waterproof endcaps as well as something to drive 42" 40w fluorescent lights. I'm doing a custom set-up for a turtle tank and managed to get a bunch of UVB bulbs for dirt cheap at the Barrhaven Super Pet so decided to go with this odd length.

Kicking myself because there was a double ballast glowmat-style of device there from Exoterra that would've worked great but I put it down, turned around, and some other guy had snapped it up.  :( >:( Oh well. Win some, lose some.

Just seeing if there's a cheaper way...

Also, I want to run two bulbs at the same time.

Anyway... Ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

darkdep

With the way fluorescents are wired up today, there's really no need for waterproof endcaps in freshwater unless you're expecting regular water contact.  You can go with regular endcaps quite safely.  You can't really "short circuit" the end of a bulb because although the tubes have two pins, the endcaps connect them together anyway.

I suggest you pick up some standard endcaps from home depot, and then just use a ballast that is rated to run 2 x 40w bulbs.  Honestly, I probably have 3 or 4 in my basement, you're welcome to them.

Mettle

Wow, very cool. Thanks!  :)

I was reading about the Glo Ballast system in this thread: http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=18443.0

I'm going to go to the Barrhaven SP today to see if they have any of this stuff left as it would be incredibly discounted, I'm sure.

Plus I don't know about having open ballasts over the water like that. Just worries me for some reason. But I can't have glass or anything in between as it's for the turtles and they need the direct uvb.

darkdep

I have a couple of the GLO Ballasts; they are great all-in-one systems.  Only complaint is you're stuck with their cord lengths, and the cord from the ballast to the outlet is really short.  Easy to fix with an extension cord tho.

You don't need to have the BALLAST over open water.  My ballasts are all either bolted to the top of the light hood on the outside, or over on the side of my rack.

Mettle

Yeah, all SP Barrhaven had left were some of the 36" reflectors and some of the old style Glomats but only up to 30w. Looks like I'll have to rig something else up. I've been thinking on how best to do this as well, as I need to design an entire tank set-up... But you've given me some good ideas here. Thanks.